turning LSS combo into head and cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geddyentwistle

Reaction score
my LSS sounds far better with a closed back speaker cab

so i want to gut the combo...

any suggestion where to get the head shell?

or possibly a bigger combo cabinet that is closed back?

I don't know for sure, but it's always looked to me like the Stiletto and Lonestars share the same chassis size. I wonder if the LSS would fit into the Stiletto closed back combo cab?

You can order the head cabs from Mesa, but they won't be particularly cheap.

mesa sells a wide body 1x12 that is closed back and will fit the large head. I bought a vertical mesa 2x12 with V30's in it and it sounds great with my LSC head. good luck buying the head cabinet, its expensive, I got lucky when I bought my LSC 1x12 used, the guy also had a head cab for it.

The head shells run about $350.00, and can take about a month to three months to get. Looked into it for my LSC after I ruined my spine. You could get a big box Marshall shell and just turn it upside down and drill new holes for the mounting screws. Double check on the chassis size, I'm pretty sure it would be a fit. Good luck!

thanks gang

maybe i'll ;look for a local carpenter or make one myself

is there any grounding or metallic insulation in there??

there is some foil in the cab above the open part of the chassis. then there is some foam rubber stripping where the chassis makes contact to the cabinet also.

plan-x said:
I sized up my LSC and the chassis is shorter than the combo cab. That would be a short head!

like this!

7b46_1.JPG

Are the panel controls knobs the same spacing as a long head or say the combo? Aren't these all the same chassis?

Pretty sure they are the same chassis. I won't get my short head in till Monday to know for sure, but the chassis in the LSC combo is actually only about the size of the cutout in front.

Well here's the finished Traynor head. I don't have a shop. Just used some hand tools. It cost about $100 dollars for the materials. The main tools were a long straight edge ruler or square, a hand jig saw, a power sander(I used an orbital one) these are $20 power tools. Now I'm ready to tackle my LSC combo and convert it into a head.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o82/plan-x/Head%20cab/Traynorhead006.jpg

Latest posts

Back