Turning it up

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TractorTom

Reaction score
I have got a solo 50 rect head running into a Marshall 2 x 12 cab - sounds great upto about half volume which is pretty loud. But, any further and it starts to lose its sustain and becomes punchy instead. Anyone know why? cos it ruins my sounds (souped up Metallica) How are you guys getting these things louder without sound degredation. I was wondering could it be the cab but thats rated at 150watts.

Cheers

Tractor Tom

its pretty LOUD at over half way up on the volume. What size room are you doing that in? it might be overkill in a small room and your ears simply cant handle it and thats why it sound bad.
and dont forget...Mesa designs amp to have the sweet spot at about noon...so none of the controls are ever ment to be maxed out.

What you are experiencing is NO HEADROOM Volume due to it being 50 watts.
I've had a 99 TR, a 97 DR and 03 SR50. The Single Rec sounded great at low-med high volumes but anything beyond that you lose articulation and definition.
You may want to upsize to a DR if you can't get what you want out of it.

I don't have any experience with Marshall cabs but used a 2x12 rectifier cab with an ROV combo.

When you say "halfway up" are you referring to the 12 O'clock position? That is the sweet spot and I don't think the rectifier series are really designed to be pushed past this point.

My 2ch DR at this position w/ the master, the loop active master on and send at 100% was noticibly louder and punchier than my ROV.

I used to crank the ROV in an auditorium that I have access too. The DR at this level, in this auditorium, was a noticible increase in headroom. I do not recall the ROV vibrating the whole auditorium like the DR did. I was using a 4x12 and 2x12 rectifier cab and that could have contributing to the vibration. :D

I now lower the volume on the DR in that Auditorium with the send level on the back of the amp and leave the master and loop active master at 12 o'clock and only plan on using the 2x12. Those 4x12's sure are heavy!

The auditorium is in a corporate office building so even on weekends there are employees present. I can't push the DR at louder levels for fear of loosing access to the space. 50w to 100w is not twice as loud but my brother and I definitely noticed a difference.

The ROV is great amp and I'm sure the Single Recto is too.

My 2cents though I like the additional options that the DR offers ie El34's, Tube rectification, bold/spongy, loop assignable etc

loose the marshall cab and get something with speakers that can handle a Recto..... try a basson cab or an avatar with some (1) eminence texas heat and (1) eminence govenor

Latest posts

Back