Tung-sol in V1 and JAN GE 5751 in PI cured all my problems.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
OK guys ive been lurking for a while but after making this discovery i had to register and share my findings....... right here is where i feel sorry for those who sold their Mark V's without experimenting with preamp tubes.

My main complaints with the mark V were:

1. Lack of clean headroom in channel 1.... couldnt go past 11 on gain and 12 on master in clean or fat mode and still retain a high headroom clean sound. Because of this i was struggling to balance channel 2 and 3 with channel one and couldnt experiment with higher (above 10 o clock) master volume settings on the gain channels.

2. I had a squeel whenever i turned channel 1 master volume up past 2 o clock.

3. The 80hz slider added a boxy boomy low end to channel 3 and always felt out of control when up too high or too thin when set lower. Channel 3 was never big and tight enough sounding.

I did change the stock power tubes to JJ 6L6's...but this was a couple of weeks ago. They sound nice and thick, i prefer them to the stock 6L6's, they sound less hollow, but they have a slightly more sterile sound i guess. My next step is trying some Sed 6L6's and some Ruby EL34BHT.

Now today, for the 1st time after owning the mark V and having a love hate relationship with it for months i decided to experiment with preamp tubes. I wanted to get to know the amp really well before trying to fix problems with new tubes.

Firstly I changed the phase inverter tube (stock JJ) to a Jan 5751. It made the amp slightly duller (ive always found the Mark V has plenty of presence to spare though so not a problem) but it greatly increased the amp's headroom and the boomy boxyness of channel 3 was GONE. Everything sounded more open and natural. I actually could back off the 80hz slider to half way between the middle and top line and have a much bigger, tighter sound than before. Even 2C+ mode sounded big!

Next step was a Tung-sol RI 12ax7 in V1. Brought all the sparkle back to the clean channel and I suddenly had a pleasing top end across all 3 channels. Clean channel stayed clean in fat mode up to 12 o clock gain and 3 o clock master! Oh and no more squeeling.

All the modes sounded good and the eq's in general responded better and did more of what one would expect a mark series amp to do. Even mark 1 mode sounded less choked with the gain up higher. I can actually see myself loving all of the modes (yes even 2c+, edge, and mark 1)

I tried some Shuguangs in v 3-5 but felt they sounded a bit more compressed and springy.... naturally i backed off the gain a tad to get a fair comparison to the stock JJ's but they still felt more "2d" so I left the stock JJ's in v3-5. These might be good for someone going for a more straight up metal sound.... they might do better in conjunction with more harmonically rich sounding power tubes also.

If any of you are having similar problems to what I described above (and from reading this forum it seems there are plenty) please do yourself a favor and try just these 2 tube swaps. V1 and the PI. I think the key to solving the mark V's low end problems is a phase inverter tube that has slightly less gain (please note that this did not have a negative effect on available gain, in conjunction with the Tung-sol in v1, quite the opposite actually)

YMMV but it sure worked for me!

I know im not the 1st one to discover this but i thought a more thorough explanation of what these tubes did would be more helpful to people. I do think that one of the stock tubes i swapped out might have been "bad" which would account for the insanely positive difference im hearing with my amp.... i just cant see why mesa would ship the amp with these stock tubes if they dont do the amp justice.... and come to think of it i completely understand why people comparing their "settled in" mark IV's to a stock mark V would be less than impressed with channel 3 on the V. Its the TUBES!

I am using a tung-sol reissue 12ax7 in the pi position, a mullard NOS 12ax7 in v1, and a RFT in v2. It gets me pretty close to where I want to be. If I were born or became rich, I spend more time playing around with other nos tubes and see what goes. Also, I tried the Amprex, made in Holland, buggle boy 12ax7 in both the v1 and pi. I did not care for it in my mark v.

Was your PI position tube a matched tube? Or can you just put any old 12ax7 in that position?

NR2112 said:
Was your PI position tube a matched tube? Or can you just put any old 12ax7 in that position?

You can usually put any 12ax7 there unless your amps manual warns otherwise. There are arguments for matched triodes and against it too as a wasted expense.

You'll need a balanced 12AX7 in the Phase Inverter (PI). Here's how the PI works:

http://www.300guitars.com/articles/article-demystifying-the-phase-inverter/

Back