Tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodger916

Reaction score
Ithaca, NY...10 sq miles surrounded by reality!
Hi Mick:

I'm no expert here, but from the reading I've done, V1, being the 1st gain stage, has the greatest overall influence on the amp. I've heard the phase inverter also has a global influence, but a balanced triode tube is recommended here.

I recently did some re-tubing with NOS pre-amp tubes in my IIC+, and man, what a difference! I also put a new Mullard 12at7wa (from Doug's) in the phase inverter. I would say just experiment until you hit on the combo you like...and then keep experimenting! Also, I found 12at7/ECC81 tubes to be a very pleasing alternative to 12ax7/ECC83. It might lower the gain a (little) bit, but I don't play metal anyway.

And here's a great thread concerning NOS tubes:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&highlight=timbre+wolf

Enjoy!

Frank

+1

even if each tubes is important in tone, V1 and V5 seem to be the most "tonal" important tubes...

I just re-tubed my Mark III with new preamp tubes from www.dougstubes.com, Matt there was very helpful. I can not believe the difference in my amp. Just like re-stringing a guitar the amp has come alive. I used Mesa 12AX7 in V2, 4, 5 and JAN Philips 12AX7WA in V3 for the lead and JAN GE 5751 in V1. What a huge difference. The lead channel has become so creamy and the clean channel picked up great headroom. I am so glad I made the change and plan to continue to experiment with tubes.

Latest posts

Back