Tubes for my mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzhead

Reaction score
I need to retube my Mark IV.
What do you guys suggest?
I have stock mesa tubes in it right now, but honestly the are so buzzy now
and need changed badly.
I just want a warm, high gain, crystal clear tone.

Thanks,
Kyle

I just re-tubed my .50 Caliber + and with at the recommendation of the dude's at my local Guitar Store (Long & Mcquade) and here's what I got:

2 X 6L6 Groove Tubes (POWER SECTION)

4 X Tung Sol 12AX7 (PRE AMP SECTION)
1 X Electro Harmonix (PRE AMP - in V2)

The Tung Sol's are were recommended to me as "fuller/more defined or detailed with in terms of clarity"

And they are! I am happy with them, the Groove Tubes are good as well, much better than the Mesa 420 STR's that were in there, BUT, the Mesa's were old so I didn't have a fair shot at jugging the two...but, If I were to buy another set I would try the Mesa Boogie STR 440's. I have heard from Mike B at Mesa and countless others that the Mesa STR 440's are the way to go for Power Tubes!

I play strictly METAL: Metallica, Pantera, Slayer, Megadeth, Testament type stuff....My tone is closest to Hetfield's 89 Live tone era....

Hi Fuzzhead. You're entering "The House of the Rising Sun", a dangerous world from which you may never truly escape. Welcome to the asylum!

Preamp tubes will give you the widest variety of sound, especially given the importance of the preamp in Boogies. There are countless threads about tubes in this forum, both new production and NOS tubes. Here's a good place to start thinking about NOS tubes: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=749&highlight=timbre+wolf.
Some here will swear by NOS tubes while others will say they aren't worth the difference in price and personal energy invested. I'm no tube expert, but I consider my ears to be fairly discerning. To me, the NOS tubes I've tried do make a difference.

Do a search for tube names like Mullard, Amperex, Sylvania, GE, RCA, Tesla, etc. You will undoubtedly stumble upon some great information and a broad range of opinions. Good luck!

+1 for the STR440's
As for nos vs current production preamp tubes, the important thing is that you buy fully tested ones if you buy current production. And by that I mean tested for gain and noise/microphonics. Nos are much more consistent in their quality. I made the mistake of buying some untested JJ's years ago and they were terrible. Basically the crap that's left after the good ones are taken out !!! You don't think they throw them away do you ?!? :shock:

Unless your amp is moded for a variable bias, stick with Boogie tubes for the power section. Preamp side, you can use any brand your heart desires. Just keep the quietest tube you can find in V1 or else it's hiss city!

Latest posts

Back