Tubes for dc 10? JJ's ?str's?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don diego

Reaction score
I I just got a second DC10 dc 10 to gig with, I have had a new one sice 98 but I always kept it unplayed , I have alot of mesas and wanted to keep one in New condition,. Ive heard people here love JJ's and they are 15 minutes form where I live so its an easy pickup. The owner said he hates Mesas except for the new Mark IV, Im hesitatat to take advice from someone who hates Mesas so what tubes guys? I read something that the DC series likes the STR Mesas because they arent dark and bassy like JJ's. Is this incorrect? I do have to put the gain in the lead channell at 8 or 10 in low volumeson the dc 10, couldnt go above 2 or 3 in my last dc5"a". Is this indicitive of a worn 12ax7 in the gain pre? Any advice or reccommendations appreciated.What do you all use in your dc's,DC 10's especially. Thanks

I've gone back and forth with the JJs and I am back again for the preamp tubes. I don't have any problem with their 6l6s either, I just prefer the winged c 6l6. JJ tubes have been more reliable and quieter for me. I was just getting ready to start a thread about how I'm done with Tung Sol 12ax7 because they go bad after just a few months when I saw your thread.

You may want to consider an cap job on your DC-10 if you don't it's history. When I did it to mine last year it tightened up the low end, seemed to have more bass and made it even more responsive.

MJ Slaughter said:
I've gone back and forth with the JJs and I am back again for the preamp tubes. I don't have any problem with their 6l6s either, I just prefer the winged c 6l6. JJ tubes have been more reliable and quieter for me. I was just getting ready to start a thread about how I'm done with Tung Sol 12ax7 because they go bad after just a few months when I saw your thread.

You may want to consider an cap job on your DC-10 if you don't it's history. When I did it to mine last year it tightened up the low end, seemed to have more bass and made it even more responsive.
MJ, how is it history w/o a cap job? There is a little screeching when loud. What is a cap job? Is it a flaw with the amp?Plesae explain. Thanks

don diego said:
MJ Slaughter said:

MJ, how is it history w/o a cap job? There is a little screeching when loud. What is a cap job? Is it a flaw with the amp?Plesae explain. Thanks

I think I answered your questions in the PM. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Latest posts

Back