Tube question for LSS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockin_Ron

Reaction score
Got my hands on some JJ EL84s for the Special. The boxes are all marked 21.0 / 4.85. So I guess they're all matched. But what is the significance of the values? Are these the right "values" for the amp based on MESA? Anybody have any experience or have purchased EL84s from Eurotubes ... what are their values?

Thanks

Hi
I am in the UK but have used Eurotubes. Bought a full set of tubes, JJs and they worked perfectly. My latest retube of the power valves I bought JJs from Voc Rock in the UK. I called them and had a chat; the guy there was very knowledgeable and he thanked me for telling him I had a Boogie LSS and shipped the tubes out and again they work with no issues. I know that some EL84 powered amps like for example the Vox AC30 never need biasing as they are cathode biased and are self adjusting so you don't need to worry. Not sure if this applies to the LSS.

tom

Thanks for the reply Tom

So I gather that they did not have any numbers marked on them? LSS is self biasing, I just want to make sure the valves are in the proper range. Was hoping someone knew the proper numbers. Also Eurotubes sell different break-up types like early, regular, and late/more headroom. I'm thinking these numbers have something to do with that.

thom said:
Hi
I am in the UK but have used Eurotubes. Bought a full set of tubes, JJs and they worked perfectly. My latest retube of the power valves I bought JJs from Voc Rock in the UK. I called them and had a chat; the guy there was very knowledgeable and he thanked me for telling him I had a Boogie LSS and shipped the tubes out and again they work with no issues. I know that some EL84 powered amps like for example the Vox AC30 never need biasing as they are cathode biased and are self adjusting so you don't need to worry. Not sure if this applies to the LSS.

tom

Rockin_Ron said:
Thanks for the reply Tom

So I gather that they did not have any numbers marked on them? LSS is self biasing, I just want to make sure the valves are in the proper range. Was hoping someone knew the proper numbers. Also Eurotubes sell different break-up types like early, regular, and late/more headroom. I'm thinking these numbers have something to do with that.

thom said:
Hi

tom
Mesa amps are not self-biasing. They are fixed-bias, meaning the bias cannot be adjusted to accommodate a tube (unless you want to start changing resistors). A such, you need to buy tubes that operate within Mesas operating range. A knowledgeable dealer (like Eurotubes) will supply the proper tubes if you tell them which amp you have.

I just bought a complete set of tubes for my LSS from Eurotubes. The matched set of EL84's has a "28" marked on it but no other markings.

I haven't installed the tubes yet so I can't give any kind of tone report as of now.

Here's what I'm talking about. See the stickers with numbers on the boxes. What do they mean? Are these acceptable values for the LSS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JJ-EL84-Guitar-Amp-Power-Tube-Matched-Quartet_W0QQitemZ270467466992QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3ef91e06f0

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-JJ-Tesla-EL84-STR-Tubes-Quad_W0QQitemZ350259740934QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item518d1b8106

Latest posts

Back