Tube noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timeghost

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Sorry if this sounds like a noob question, but I have never really heard this on another amp. When I play, I can actually here the tubes almost rattling as if they were some kind of hum when I play. its not coming from the speaker, but from the tubes themselves. is this normal?

I should definitely re-state this. This doesn't sound like a NORMAL sound a tube amp makes. I wish I could explain it. What's a good way of testing the tubes if they are bad?

If you're playing the combo or have the head on a cab that's real loud, some tube rattle is pretty normal. You can try and adjust the 'wings' that surround the tube sockets, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it's really loud.

3 years ago I purchased a combo. A week later I swapped it for a head. Initially the rectifier tube was rattling like crazy. Changed it. Then 2 out of four power tubes were pretty annoying. Changed those. It help but did not eliminated it. I guess i could after trial and error but could not imagine vacuum tubes could be so finicky.

The real annoyance in my case was at low volume when every little rattles can be heard.

Back