TS-9 or SD-1 to push tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnster

Reaction score
Which pedal are most using to push the overdrive channels on the rectifier amps? I hear that the Kelley mod-plus TS-9 is a good way to help make the solos sing a bit more. Is this good advice? I do have an old SD-1 that does well but is a bit noisy...any thoughts??

I havent extensively tried either pedal on my rectifier but i use the SD-1 with my stiletto always now, not because the amp doesnt do what i want but because i found a vrey specific tone that the pedal only gives me, but i mean i can push my stiletto into mega super duper retarted saturation with the SD1 if i wanted...

anyway i tired both of them and through a rectifier i prefer the SD1 for pushing it, if you want like another gain stage to add on top so you can set your amp up for vintage rhythm, vintage lead and modern rhythm, modern lead, it works perfectly like that, thats how i used mine if and when i had it hooked up to the recto.

I personally like the Fulldrive II with the switch in the "comp cut" setting as a boost, great for adding (almost) pure gain without adding distortion in front of the amp. Any distortion comes from hitting the tubes harder, not from the FD II itself. It works great with the LSS CH 2 and Nomad CH 2 and CH 3. In the regular "mid boost" and "vintage" settings, the FD II sounds similar to the TS-9, i.e. it add some distortion, but the FD II has more bass and more transparency, IMHO. In these two settings the FD II works great as a regular OD pedal into a clean channel.

Anyway, try one.

The TS9 is a great pedal for the recto if you're using 6L6's, gives a nice fat mid boost. If you're running EL34's I'd recommend the Fulltone OCD instead. I pretty much keep my TS9 or OCD on (depending on tubes Im using) at all times and use my guitar's volume knob to adjust. 8 for rythm, 10 for solos

Might sound dumb, but how exactly do those pedals work? I have a ts9 i have been using to push a Marshall and it sounds awesome. But how does a boost work? Does it actually push the Tubes of an amp to give you more overdrive, or does the pedal give you the overdrive? Im confused here, haha

MysticTriad said:
Might sound dumb, but how exactly do those pedals work? I have a ts9 i have been using to push a Marshall and it sounds awesome. But how does a boost work? Does it actually push the Tubes of an amp to give you more overdrive, or does the pedal give you the overdrive? Im confused here, haha

The pedal effects the strength of your signal going into the preamp.

diamondschwin said:
I havent extensively tried either pedal on my rectifier but i use the SD-1 with my stiletto always now, not because the amp doesnt do what i want but because i found a vrey specific tone that the pedal only gives me, but i mean i can push my stiletto into mega super duper retarted saturation with the SD1 if i wanted...

anyway i tired both of them and through a rectifier i prefer the SD1 for pushing it, if you want like another gain stage to add on top so you can set your amp up for vintage rhythm, vintage lead and modern rhythm, modern lead, it works perfectly like that, thats how i used mine if and when i had it hooked up to the recto.

forgot to add that the pedals i had were keeley modded, very very good work def. worth it

I use to run an SD-1 in front of a Carvin! I got a Dual Rec so I would'nt have to run any pedals! :?

I use the SD-1. I bought it because my pinch harmonics were not jumping out of my RK. My amps gain with or without the pedal are about the same but it just adds those darn harmonics I was missing. For $40 bucks it was something I couldn't pass up.

I have an SD-1 from the prior use on my Marshalls. I also have the MXR ZW-44. I like both for different reasons. I have tried others and don't care for the TS-9 as much, though the 808 is pretty **** hard to beat if you are looking for that sound. I have been experimenting lately with different stuff. I found that the Metal Zone can be a nice overdrive with tone shaping if you leave the distortion off/ nearly off. I use it more like an easy eq plus boost. I have the GE-7 I also use as an eq plus boost. I have even tried using the old RAT as a boost instead of a distortion pedal. I am finding that you can use a lot of pedals as a boost without using the intended effect of the little box.

Jbird- believe it or not, sometimes you might want a little somethin somethin to just get a little more of what you bought your amp for. Try your SD-1 in front of your DR. I dig what it does with the Mark IV.

Finnster- just rock with the SD-1 even with the noise. It's all good man... I don't think anyone would be able to pick it out if you were playing live anyway. There are a lot of other things you could spend your money on. Pedals are nice but don't lose sight of your playing. Better playing is way better than a couple more pedals. I must admit that over the years I have had many pedals and rack pieces. I walked away from the effects and rack about 6 years ago after 10 years of chasing effects. I now only use a little boost if that. To me things are just more organic and raw without a bunch of crap layered on it. I am not knocking finding a better boost (as I stated above I am experimenting with some old pedals to find alternate uses for them including as boost pedals) but I don't think there is anything wrong with the SD-1. There is something to be said about the pedal as is even with the noise. Just the idea of boosting your signal is going to create noise. It is unavoidable. Rock on \m/

I use a Visual sound Route-66 OD/compressor. It is essentially the ts808 with a compressor in front. The great thing is that it has a fat boost that you can switch on or off. I run it with the OD gain all the way down and adjust volume level and tone. I really like the compressor for solos also. Its a good pedal for sure.

I am amazed at all the great responses...Thank you all! I have gathered some good ideas.

BTW, my Roadster 2X12 combo rocks pretty well all on its own. This is my first boogie......but ****...that thing is heavy!

Russ said:
I found that the Metal Zone can be a nice overdrive with tone shaping if you leave the distortion off/ nearly off. I use it more like an easy eq plus boost.

That would be the Official Tone of Cannibal Corpse. (tm)

I've been playing with this idea. We used an AnalogMan modded TS9 in front of a Road King for our last recordings, and it was nice, but I think I'd prefer the SD-1 (always my favorite OD for hitting the preamp with), so I need to try it. Hmm. Sweetwater has 'em for $40...

Just as a comment and maybe recomendation to try, the Fultone OCD (new version with serial number above the 4500) can push the amps, I recently bought one and a Fulldrive II after years of thinking that I would never need to buy a pedal again... the drive and tone is really awsome...

Latest posts

Back