Trying to smooth out my tone, suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SadButTruely

Reaction score
Currently I have a Furman PL8+ => Mesa Strategy 400 => Quad => Carvin Legacy => Emgs or Blackouts. There is a lot of air in my sound, what can help smooth this out? I am pretty new to a rack mount setup, I enjoy the sound I'm getting but it just sounds very ruff. Both units were made in 1986, so they are the older versions. Recently retubed the strategy, "all 16..." Haven't retubbed the quad. Hoping for some advice and suggestions in setup and tone first.

When you say that you have 'air' in your tone, I interpret that as a good thing. It permits sharper attack and a broader, open tonal decay.

Maybe I don't know what you mean...

Turn the preamp gain down a little and the Power amp or Master up

ronmail65 said:
When you say that you have 'air' in your tone, I interpret that as a good thing. It permits sharper attack and a broader, open tonal decay.

Maybe I don't know what you mean...

yeah, it's tough to say without hearing the tone. what speakers are you using? that's the first think i would look at if you want to smooth things out. speakers make a huge difference....

turn your gain down a bit and buy an ibanez ts-808 tube screamer or an xotic bb preamp to slam the front end of your amp a bit.....this will smooth out your tone in a very desirable way. run the overdrive with it's drive setting very low.

Latest posts

Back