Tryed a Stiletto Deuce II head!! Holy F@#K!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poweredbysoul

Reaction score
I was sold on the Recto then this appeared at a clearance price at my music store they are no longer carrying Mesa. I took this home with a 1/12 open back Wide Body Lone star cab with a Black Shadow C90. This amp sounds great when dialed in. The tone controls are the key to weaking this amp. Love the EL34 tone. Grew up with those tones as my grail. With my les paul standard and Doug Aldrich suhr pickups this thing is great. Tryed it side by side with the recto and wow what a differance!
Anyone else find similiar surprises?

Yeah I also have a Celetion Vintage 30 (UK made) and a Hellatone 30 kicking around as well if I decide to speaker swap. What I really want is a Recto 2/12. Which I'm looking into.

+1 on the 2 x 12 mission ......but I can't help wondering how bada*&^ it would be to have a 4 x 12 to set my Ace combo on top of :shock: ...and that SOUND!!! I've actually heard a 1 x 12 Ace on top of a Recto 4 x 12 and O.M.G.!!! :twisted:...ther aren't words!!!! :mrgreen:

Alright now the gas is starting!!!!
I'm trying to locate a recto cab as we speak!!! Also can this head run a cab with 1 16ohm speaker?

I tried out a Deuce II through a traditional 4x12 and it was awesome. I bought a Ace combo the next week, but was not as impressed. It was brighter and harsher. The 4x12 makes a huge difference.

I run my ace 2x12 combo with my 4x12 recto when the crushing is needed :twisted: but for the most part just take the combo to shows and mic it. I don't have problems with any piercing highs with mine, but have my presence down when I practice alone and turn it up with the band

Jammed all afternoon with this amazing amp. Ran it with the lonestar wide body 1/12 cab with the C90.
I couldn't believe how this amp filled the room, and ballsy. I could just imagine it with a bigger cab, but to be honest with you I was quite happy with it as is. I tryed a Ace 1/12 combo but didn't like it as much as this. I had the Pres at around 9 oclock and the treb between 10-11 oclock and this thing was thick articulate had a mid grind and the mesa balls!!! Got great EL34 tones from clean to drive! I like this better then the Recitfier I was trying!!!
If I can get my hands on a 2/12 mesa cab in the future I will but for now all is good.
Thanks to everyone for their help.

I'm gonna order a tube kit from Eurotubes, just as a back up set. JJ"s. Anyone use these and differance between them and the stock mesa tubes??
Also I find I like bringing the Treble back between 9-10 oclock and run the Presence a little higher. It is a bright amp but I think in a good way. I finally plugged my strat in and tryed the clean channel. Holy SH#T, the best clean channel I"ve ever heard on an EL34 based amp and probably better than almost anything else I have tryed. Unreal!!! Put a Boss RV-5 reverb in the loop, sounds great!!!
Plus a nice series effects loop instead of the Parallel thing!
I"m so happy I found this amp!!!!
I was thinking of a closed back cab but I like the way my Lonestar wide body cab (open back) is sounding. Really fills the room but still has a good amount of nuts!!!
Thanks again for all the replies.

My first Mesa was a Stiletto Ace combo, and as was said, it was pretty bright and harsh. It had an awesome tonality, but I was offered a trade for a DC-5, and I opted for the fuller, more characteristic Mesa-like tone of the DC.

That being said, I played a Deuce II a couple weeks ago through a Recto 212 and it sounded awesome. It had the perfect balance of British tones, with a little extra magic thrown in there. I played it with an EBMM Axis and I was able to get some pretty gnarly EVH-style tones.

It's an awesome amp, the Stiletto Deuce.

poweredbysoul said:
Yeah I also have a Celetion Vintage 30 (UK made) and a Hellatone 30 kicking around as well if I decide to speaker swap. What I really want is a Recto 2/12. Which I'm looking into.
thats exactly what im running in my 412's. V30's and hellatone 30's in an X pattern. Love it

I have a recto 4x12 cab, and it sounds awesome. Unfortunately, many of the clubs can't handle that, so I went out and bought a recto 2x12, and still sounds awesome through the 2x12.

I was also looking into a Dual Rectifier and the Stiletto. What I really wanted was a Marshall sound, so picked the Stiletto. When I become independently wealthy, would love a Rectifier to get that sound. It is truly unique, but second on my list compared with the sound I really desired: Les Paul + Marshall. :)

-Brad

poweredbysoul said:
I'm gonna order a tube kit from Eurotubes, just as a back up set. JJ"s. Anyone use these and differance between them and the stock mesa tubes??

I've ordered tube kits for my blues junior, Mark 4, and triaxis...nothing but great products from Eurotubes!

Ordered the High Gain option for both Mark 4 and Triaxis, very big improvement to my ears. Gain is clear and articulate in both mesa amps, reverb on my Mark 4 vastly improved with High Gain option for my mark 4.

My experience have been positive with Eurotubes. Prompt shipping too!!!

End of the day, it's your money and in my opinion, my money was well spent on Eurotubes.

Latest posts

Back