Trouble with my dual rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbbguitar1

Reaction score
I noticed the other day that when I switch my dual rec from silicone diode to tube rectifier, I get no sound. is this a common problem, or can someone point me in the right direction to figuring this one out? Thanks!!!

Yep sounds like a bad recto tube, and yes the JJ's are fan-f'n-tastic. The GZ34 has a faster rise time and higher peak voltage, which makes the amp respond differently...tighter, punchier, but not stiff or harsh like the diodes can be at times.

www.eurotubes.com
www.dougstubes.com

No they're not Mesa branded (although they are better and cheaper too). If you have concerns about your warranty, Mesa sells a 5AR4 rectifier tube that is similar to the JJ GZ34.

Jon

NoGlassNoClass said:
Yep sounds like a bad recto tube, and yes the JJ's are fan-f'n-tastic. The GZ34 has a faster rise time and higher peak voltage, which makes the amp respond differently...tighter, punchier, but not stiff or harsh like the diodes can be at times.

www.eurotubes.com
www.dougstubes.com

No they're not Mesa branded (although they are better and cheaper too). If you have concerns about your warranty, Mesa sells a 5AR4 rectifier tube that is similar to the JJ GZ34.

Jon
Hey Glass,

I have a question.

If you install another brand tubes does it void mesa's warranty?

That seems unlikely, but I'm a new mesa owner so I had to ask.

Thanks

MesaMadness said:
I have a question.

If you install another brand tubes does it void mesa's warranty?

That seems unlikely, but I'm a new mesa owner so I had to ask.

Thanks
yes, they will void the warranty

Yes it will void the warranty. I'm not sure, but its also possible that using the Mesa-branded 5AR4 would be a warranty issue as well, as that's not the "correct" tube for your application...call Mesa to be sure on that one.

NoGlassNoClass said:
Yes it will void the warranty. I'm not sure, but its also possible that using the Mesa-branded 5AR4 would be a warranty issue as well, as that's not the "correct" tube for your application...call Mesa to be sure on that one.

How would they ever know?

Couldn't you just throw the stock mesa's back in if you had a problem?

Thanks

they would know, electricians and engineers know what they build and what would cause failure

MesaMadness said:

Thanks

Depends on the warranty issue...suppose a tube failed and took something out with it, like a resistor or some other small part. Put the stock (and working!) tubes back in and the tech's gonna know somethings fishy. Then again, Mesa is pretty good about taking care of their customers so they might not say anything about it--unless you're trying to hit them up for a several-hundred-dollar output transformer or other serious prob.

That said, there are those of us who would have no problem stuffing a pumped up V8 into a brand new car. F* the warranty if a simple mod or tube swap gets you the tone you want.

I bought a set of the JJ GZ34's for my Dual Rec, and HOLY **** do they sound good! I can't believe the difference in tone: much less sag and a nice crisp treble coming through. I think I'm in love all over again!!! Thanks for the recommendation!!

NoGlassNoClass said:
MesaMadness said:

Thanks

Depends on the warranty issue...suppose a tube failed and took something out with it, like a resistor or some other small part. Put the stock (and working!) tubes back in and the tech's gonna know somethings fishy. Then again, Mesa is pretty good about taking care of their customers so they might not say anything about it--unless you're trying to hit them up for a several-hundred-dollar output transformer or other serious prob.

That said, there are those of us who would have no problem stuffing a pumped up V8 into a brand new car. F* the warranty if a simple mod or tube swap gets you the tone you want.

Reminds me of my buddy that stuffed a Chevy 350 in a Luv truck. No Bullsh*t. That truck was looser with it's rear end than a hooker on freemont street. Hah.

and a belated thanks for the answers, guys.

Back