Trouble with channel 3

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris20ire

Reaction score
I just bought the Mark V,unfortunately there are no Mesa dealers in my country so I could not try the amp before I bought it.So based on reviews and video reviews I thought it sounded great.I tried a DC-5 a while back and was amazed and hoped the Mark V would replicate those sounds.So far I think I was wrong.I love the clean,it's better than the DC-5 but not as good as the Lonestar.Channel 2 is good too for all my classic rock and blues playing,but with channel 3 I was hoping for a smooth creamy distortion like on the DC-5 for an Eric Johnson kind of lead sound and kind find it.I can't even achieve a decent metal tone.The sound is thin and harsh and gritty no matter what I do and doesn't have much more gain than channel 2.I know this amp is practically made for metal but achieving that tone with my American Strat or Ibanez seems impossible.The Ibanez is obviously heavier sounding but no where near metal sounding.I'm hoping this is not how the amp should sound and it's a simple fix?This is my first tube amp so I don't know much about it.

Nermel said:
search and find stuff:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37145

I need to try some of those settings in that thread!!

I find that this amp is smoother with the the GEQ off and more powerful with the GEQ on in the 'V' shape.

For metal tones try this:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36442

Do you have a Mark V combo or head?

MusicManJP6 said:
Nermel said:
search and find stuff:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=37145

I need to try some of those settings in that thread!!

I find that this amp is smoother with the the GEQ off and more powerful with the GEQ on in the 'V' shape.

For metal tones try this:
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=36442

Do you have a Mark V combo or head?
I have the combo,with the gain set where it is in that picture it only manages to give me a classic rock sound for some reason,I've tried numerous guitars with near enough the same issue.The 'V' shape does add some balls to the sound,but without it it's incredibly thin and harsh even with the bass up?There's not that much difference between channel 2 and channel 3 which really worries me..The clean channel is really versatile which I love,but I can't say the same for channel 3..

It's most definitely the combo cab that is giving you thin tone. Hook that combo up to a closed back or 3/4 back cab and prepare to be amazed! You are losing quite a bit of bass out the back of the open combo cab. PLUS, it is a brand new speaker that is not broken in yet so it adds to the harshness...

MusicManJP6 said:
It's most definitely the combo cab that is giving you thin tone. Hook that combo up to a closed back or 3/4 back cab and prepare to be amazed! You are losing quite a bit of bass out the back of the open combo cab. PLUS, it is a brand new speaker that is not broken in yet so it adds to the harshness...
I'll definately try that because I was planning on getting the cab anyway for gigs and such,do you have any ideas on what the lack of gain could be?

chris20ire said:
MusicManJP6 said:
I'll definately try that because I was planning on getting the cab anyway for gigs and such,do you have any ideas on what the lack of gain could be?

That could also be your cab. The cab is letting lots of frequencies escape out the back (instead of reflecting them back to you) so the 'perceived' amount of gain is decreased. I know when I had my DC-3 head that it sounded nice and gainy through my Recto cabs, but when I hooked it up to a little F-50 combo (that I had at the time) it sounded instantly like classic rock with the same exact settings! Could also be your pickups (single coils?) or, worst case... a bad/weak tube.

Now, remember, it's not a super saturated type of gain like a Rectifier. If all else fails and you are still lacking gain then try an OD in front set for a boost (high output, low gain) and see if that helps. I think it has just the right amount of gain, but I don't play metal (usually).

MusicManJP6 said:
chris20ire said:
MusicManJP6 said:

That could also be your cab. The cab is letting lots of frequencies escape out the back (instead of reflecting them back to you) so the 'perceived' amount of gain is decreased. I know when I had my DC-3 head that it sounded nice and gainy through my Recto cabs, but when I hooked it up to a little F-50 combo (that I had at the time) it sounded instantly like classic rock with the same exact settings! Could also be your pickups (single coils?) or, worst case... a bad/weak tube.

Now, remember, it's not a super saturated type of gain like a Rectifier. If all else fails and you are still lacking gain then try an OD in front set for a boost (high output, low gain) and see if that helps. I think it has just the right amount of gain, but I don't play metal (usually).
A bad tube was what I thought of first,then again I don't have any experience with tube amps,and I've tried the amp with single coils and humbuckers and humbuckers do make a difference but not much.The only thing is,after spending so much on this amp,I don't want to have to add to it to make it sound good if you know what I mean.I know there's probably no such thing as the perfect amp but when I tried the DC-5 it was pretty close for me.Living in Ireland I wasn't able to find one for sale so I bought thie Mark V instead after reading about it's versatility in hope of capturing that sound.It completely destroys the DC-5 when it comes to clean,but can't seem to find the same overdrive.However I'll try your suggestions the best I can with what I have.Thanks for your help

send a email to mesa, but im thinking its going to be a bad tube. because my mark v can get anywheres near metallica ajfa tone to lamb of god to slipknot to full out despised icon/acaica strain. Mind you i do use a maxon od 808 for some extra pre tube distortion it breaks it up alot nice when its at lower vol. Also how loud are you playing it these amps need to be fuckin cranked to get what they are made of. I also find the 10 and 45 watt being a tad diffrent sounding than full out 90 watts and it being put to about half now thats where the amp shines. Also try lowering your output level and turning up the master in channel 3 i find at times if i crank the master to about half and i put my output at about 9 oclock it has some great tone. But i am useing 2 4x12s with my head, as many said a main problem is due to the open back.

Make sure that the SEND LEVEL on your effects loop is near the 12:00 o'clock position. As stated before, a higher channel master setting will thicken up channel 3, a good bit. Beyond that, a bad preamp tube would be my guess.

Here are my personal settings on the IIC+ setting.

GAIN 3 o'clock
Treble 2:30
Mids at 10 o'clock
Bass at 11 o'clock
Presence at 11 o'clock
VOLUME CRANKED TO TASTE
EQ in strong V or EQ off and the treble set at 1 o'clock.

If these settings do not give you enough gain, there are issues with your amp, guitar and/or connections. They are very loud, with an output and effects send level at 12:00 o'clock, EVM speakers in all their SPL glory. :twisted:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37701

Latest posts

Back