Triple Recto Settings for recording?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogboy131

Reaction score
The tone I LOVE LOVE LOVE is Testament, Exodus etc.

I have a triple recto in the mail and would love to get some ballpark settings for recording.

Are there any cool albums with a triple recto used?

dogboy131 said:
The tone I LOVE LOVE LOVE is Testament, Exodus etc.

I have a triple recto in the mail and would love to get some ballpark settings for recording.

Are there any cool albums with a triple recto used?

I just completed a new record with my Triple Rectifier. All the tracks were recorded completely dry, with no effect, straight into the amp. I added some effect in the mix on some of the leads, and on most of the (Channel 1) clean tracks, but the on distorted rhythms (Channel 2 and 3)there is little or no effect added at all in the mix.

I used all (3) channels on the Triple Rectifier on the recording, and in fact on one of the songs (Thirteen dreams) I used all (3) channels switching progressively throughout the song, plus the Acoustic Piezo Pickup on the John Petrucci Guitar.

The CD was recorded with a Enie Ball/Music man John Petrucci Guitar and a Gibson Les Paul Custom. Those are the ONLY guitars used, and the Mesa head was the ONLY amp used in the recording.

The CD is entitled 'Songs from Beneath'.

Here is a direct link to the tracks on the CD:

http://www.lydianfortune.com/beneath.htm

If you are interested, here is the entry link to my band website:

www.lydianfortune.com

Keep in mind that there are (2) CD's listed on the website that I have recorded and released, but I used a Marshall Head and Cavin Guitars on my first CD 'Songs from Aloft'.

The 2nd CD 'Songs from Beneath' that I linked above has all the Mesa Triple Rectifier tracks.

Enjoy!

Nice job dude. I really like the solo sound you had. Do you have any settings written down?

I also liked your power chord sound.

dogboy131 said:
Nice job dude. I really like the solo sound you had. Do you have any settings written down?

I also liked your power chord sound.

All the songs are in Std 440 tuning except 'The day After' and 'Songs from beneath' are drop D Tuned.

I actually played and tracked all the rhythms twice (rather than just copy the same track twice) to create a thicker sound. On 'Songs from beneath' I tracked 3 guitars to thicken the sound even more. As I mentioned the distorted tracks are mostly clean (no effects) and I added some reverb or chorus or delay to the non-distorted clean tracks.

The solos I recorded once and doubletracked each track. Almost 99% of the solos are recorded in single pass to create a more fluid natural feel. I only had to edit (overdub) one or two places. The solos have dlay and/or reverb added more or less depending on the mood of the solo.

The Head I used I retrofitted with JJ Tubes from Eurotubes. I did the Mesa High gain retrofit with replacement preamp tubes (ECC83's), 6V6 Power Amp Tubes, and GZ34 Rectifier Tubes. I run the amp in EL34 mode.

I played through an Ampeg SS412 Cabinet with Celestion G12T-75 Speakers. The Ampeg Cabinet is almost identical in dimension and sounds VERY similar to a Marshall 1960A Cabinet. I also played through a Marshall 1960AV Cabinet with the Celestion Vintage 30's. I think the blend of the (2) cabinets sounds created a really cool thick sound. They have (2) very different sounds that blend well IMO.

Its difficult to give you my individual channel settings because we tweaked each channel (EQ and Gain) for each track prior to recording.

I recorded digital but I took the digital tracks to another studio and transferred them to Analog tape (1/2 in I believe) and back to Digital. This is a trick to create the natural tape compression that you lose recording digital. This REALLY creates a GREAT ALIVE sound and I highly recommend it.

Then I had ALL the tracks Mastered. This is a MUST for a really good recording. I went to Rodney Mills Masterhouse in Atlanta to have this done. Rodney is a living Legend in the Music Industry.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I know how important sound is when you are rolling tape and spending money...LOL!

Thanks for the info. I have a g12-75 4x12. So thta is a good start. I will also try that copy one track to thicken a solo. Never thought of that!

The amps were just dropped off at my work. A stiletto and a triple recto. OH GOD!!! Must..get..home...

Cheers!

Owen

dogboy131 said:
Thanks for the info. I have a g12-75 4x12. So thta is a good start. I will also try that copy one track to thicken a solo. Never thought of that!

The amps were just dropped off at my work. A stiletto and a triple recto. OH GOD!!! Must..get..home...

Cheers!

Owen

You will need to either slightly time stagger the copied lead track or else add different reverb/delay to each track to actually "thicken" it. To only copy it twice (duplicate track) just makes it louder versus "thicker".... if that makes sense.

Let me know if you want/need a specific amp setting that I used.

Congrats on the new amps! Let me know how the Stiletto compares to the Triple Rec!

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back