Triple Recto head and Marshall cab question.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rambes

Reaction score
I have marshall cab that can be run in stereo, is it okay to run it in stereo then have both 8ohm outputts to the inputs of the cab or would it mess something up?

That's not running it in stereo, it's simply dividing a mono signal into two.

No, it won't hurt anything except your wallet, 'cause you're waisting money on a second cable. Normally, the Y-split happens in the cab. All you're doing is moving the Y-split to the amp. Other than that, there's no difference other than cost.

It'd be cheaper to run one cable from your amps 16ohm output into the cabs 16ohm input.

It's pretty much like Screamingdaisy says.

One thing to take note of:

Stereo Marshall cabs are 16 ohms or 4 ohms Mono. In stereo they are 8 ohms per each side. If you want to swap it over to Stereo and run it that way, you will need to run it from your 4 ohm speaker outs from your amplifier. The amps output transformer will be seeing 2 - 8 ohm loads which is 4 ohms.

If you run it from the 8 ohm speaker outs from the amp, you WILL damage your Output Transformer.

Dale

I wanted to run my 3 channel dual rectifier thru my mesa 4x12 and my marshall 1936 2x12 at the same time. the marshall is 16 ohm stereo and 8 ohm mono. what plugins would you reccomend to "splice" the cabs?

how much ohms does the recto cab have?

it´s pretty simple
(R1*R2)/(R1+R2)
if the result is over 4 ohm its ok
not the best solution but ok

With the Marshall 1960A There is a mono 16 ohm input as well as a mono 4 ohm input which is the better one to use with a triple ? I have been using the 16ohm.

http://marshallamps.com/images/products/cabinets/1960stereo.html

mrdylan said:
With the Marshall 1960A There is a mono 16 ohm input as well as a mono 4 ohm input which is the better one to use with a triple ? I have been using the 16ohm.

http://marshallamps.com/images/products/cabinets/1960stereo.html

Electronically, either way is fine as long as you plug the cab into the appropriate jack on the amp. Tonally, some say the 16-ohm load is better because you're using the whole output transformer. If you have the "Golden Ear" maybe you can tell the difference. IMO a Triple-rec turned up loud enough to achieve output trans saturation is a scary thought. Maybe in the studio in an isolation booth....

just wondering what happens when your output tranformer is damaged?

does it just break the signal or what?

just asking because one of my friends tried out my head and he might

have plugged in from the 2-8 ohm jacks into 2-8 ohm stereo cab.

and if he did, it was only like that for about 10 mins.

the manual says that the amp can run safely at 4, 8, 16 ohm loads but running at 2 will damage the output transformer.

so is runing 2 8 ohm jacks to 2 8 ohm speaker inputs is 16 ohm?

but this is not safe, or is it ok?

Prymo,

You would not want to make it a habit doing this. The two 8 ohm inputs on the cabinet will give you a total load of 4 ohms. You will want to use the 4 ohm speaker outputs on the amp. If you use the 8 ohm outputs on the amp, the ouput transformer is probably seeing 2 ohms.

I seriously doubt that your friend caused any damage though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

From now on I would leave the cabinet in mono. If you use the 4 ohm input on the cabinet, use the 4 ohm output on the amp. If you use the 16 ohm input on the cabinet, use the 16 ohm output on the amp. This will be easier to remember.

Put some tape over that stereo switch on the cabinet, because if you don't have a stereo power amp there is no need to ever use it. That way you can tell a friend, "4 to 4 or 16 to 16" and nothing else. This is your $2000.00 guitar rig, not his.

chedgeco... 8)

Prymo said:
the manual says that the amp can run safely at 4, 8, 16 ohm loads but running at 2 will damage the output transformer.

The amp's spkr jacks are connected in parallel, so two 8-ohm loads = 4 ohms. You can use the 4-ohm jacks for this, but really its just a waste of a speaker cable, as the same connection already exists in the cab if you plug into the 4-ohm mono jack.

The various speaker outs on the amp tap into the output transformer in different places to match the load, so you get full power no matter what spkr you are using. As for running into a mismatched load, as long as the amp still works you probably didnt hurt it, but I wouldnt make a habit of doing that, as the output ttrans costs about 200 bucks, plus anything else you fry in the process.

hey thanks you guys. The amp still works, i just wanted to know if any damage had been caused. im still geting buzz but thats because of my ground in the guitar and i cant seem to fix it,

Latest posts

Back