Triple Rectifier + ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think he means using a Triple Recto in conjunction with another amp, and is asking for suggestions on what to use with it, or to replace it with. I like my Triple and get all the sounds I want out of it, so I'm not much help with that, but I believe that's what he's asking about.

-AJH

yep.

Also considering slave out > FX > power amp. I did this years ago with a Marshall 6100 and it sounded fantastic.

The obvious answer is RK II for the sheer versatility of the thing...but there's something about a Triple. That face-melting, earth-shattering, knock-****-off-the-walls something....RK owners: do you have headroom like that?

A call to Mesa is in order! I bet they'll have some sik recommendation for a wet/dry rig! I'd imagine some type of power amp options!

jbird said:
A call to Mesa is in order! I bet they'll have some sik recommendation for a wet/dry rig! I'd imagine some type of power amp options!

Ive got a dumb question--what do you mean when you say "wet" or "dry"?? :?:

If you put use all of the tubes in the RK ie 4x 6L6 and 2x EL34's you shouldn't be far off the power and headroom of the Triple. I think it works out about 135watts instead of the triples 150watts.

I find it's plenty loud and lots of headroom, and we play LOUD!

Hope this helps.

Micah said:

"wet"=with effects, "dry"=without. Some effects (delays especially) can cause you to get lost in an otherwise good mix. Running two amps, one wet and the other dry, keeps your tone nice and punchy and up front while letting you use as much delay/reverb as you want.

Flavell777 said:
If you put use all of the tubes in the RK ie 4x 6L6 and 2x EL34's you shouldn't be far off the power and headroom of the Triple. I think it works out about 135watts instead of the triples 150watts.

I find it's plenty loud and lots of headroom, and we play LOUD!

Hope this helps.

Thanks...yeah that helps quite a bit. The thing that intrigues me with the RK is the poweramp/rectifier selection per channel. All the glass w/diode rec for metal mayhem rhythms, step on a button and get a tube-rec'd, 50W, volume-dimed for leads.

Tone wise I know I cant go wrong with the RK, but I dont want to give up that Triple-Rec whallop. I can come up with the cash to add a "regular" head like a Mk4 or Stiletto (or a power amp), but the Triple would have to go away to help finance a RK, and I don't want to regret it later.

NoGlassNoClass said:
RK owners: do you have headroom like that?
Not the RK, but the same wattage...

I know I had my DR on MAX at a gig the other day. I don't think it was good for the amp... lol.
Outdoor gig, ran out of mics, so I blasted it.
So yeah, I never thought I'd hit the top of my DR, but I did.

NoGlassNoClass said:
Micah said:

"wet"=with effects, "dry"=without. Some effects (delays especially) can cause you to get lost in an otherwise good mix. Running two amps, one wet and the other dry, keeps your tone nice and punchy and up front while letting you use as much delay/reverb as you want.

With that being said, Id have to say I like it dry........wait a minute...get your mind out of the gutter! I mean that when I play my guitar I like it dry.... I mean....grrrrrrrrrrr! :x

:lol:

OK, the pros of getting an extra head would be versatility! Being you could always run two different heads at once, if desired, or use one as the power section of the "wet" rig! Cons of an extra head for a "wet only" rig would be, your only using the power section of that second head, kind of a waste to me! If your set on powering a "wet" rig, I'd go with one of Mesa's tube "power" amps, and use the Triple as that pre.

I'm inclined to agree with you here jbird. For some reason I was getting the feeling my Triple was lacking in some way...turned out to be the guitar! Played one of the Gibby's last night at rehearsal and my tone was back. So...looks like a pickup swap might be in order for the SLS.

I ran a setup like that (wet/dry/wet) a few years back with a 30th anny Marshall dry into one cab, with the head's line-out into a Korg A2 processor and a Marshall 9200 power amp feeding 2 stacks :shock: with the effected signal. A major hassle to transport, plus needing 3 mic's, and an *almost* unmanageable stage volume (the look of horror on the sound guy's face made it worth the trouble). Sure did sound good though!

jbird said:
Cons of an extra head for a "wet only" rig would be, your only using the power section of that second head, kind of a waste to me!

If I were to go this route, I would A/B/Y the amps to get BOTH tones, but only put the delay on one of them. Advantage here: only need to haul around 2 cabs (which I already have), cover more sonic ground with 2 diff preamps. Advantage of FX > power amp: stereo fx and massive headroom...but you know as well as I do there's only a handful of places around here with enough PA to do justice to a rig like that, not to mention a physically large enough stage.

Latest posts

Back