Triple Rectifier, useless? =(

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Intervention

Reaction score
Hi, well, about 4 months ago, I purchased a 3 chan triple rec solo head, and i couldnt dial in a heavy, not too trebley metal tone for fast riffing. I was about to sell my amplifier, until i heard this local band play with a triple rectifier, and it sounded amazing. There was no way i can contact them now, so im out of luck. but i figured i'll get it someday.

well its been 4 months or so and i still havnt found the right settings. Anyone know a decent setting for what im looking for?

I have a guitar with dimarzio d sonic / air norton pickups, triple rectifier, boss cs-3 compressor, and alot of other effects, but those are effects such as chorus/delay/reverb etc...

thanks alot =)

(sorry my english isnt that good :) )

Have you read through these?

http://www.grailtone.com/tone-settings/mesa-boogie/mesa-boogie-amp-settings.html

There's a DB kept here with user settings.

First of all I'd try these things.

1) Don't use any pedals at first, plug directly into your amp, set the loop control on the back to 'bypass loop' so you're just working with the individual channel volumes.

2) Set your volume halfway on your guitar, set the power setting on the back to bold, set the rectifier to be silicon diode. (The next few settings are like hours on a clock face) Keep your bass around noon, mids around 10 o clock, treble around 1 o clock - 2 o clock depending on your preference. Dial your gain in about 1 o clock and move up to taste keeping in mind the more tone you suck the higher the gain is. Use your third channel in the modern setting. After you have a good rhythm tone dialed in, slowly move your guitar volume up to full.. check to make sure this is still useable, a lot of people tend to dial in the gain way too much because they picture that as making the amp 'heavier' or more aggressive. In reality, this squashes the piss out of your tone settings and overcompresses your sound. Don't be afraid to settings which seem weird to you, the Mesa tone stack is much different than a lot of other popular high gain amps. For example, one of my favorite settings has the bass on full.

If this still isn't tight enough for you, which is a possibility depending on the tones you're after, invest in something like a Tubescreamer or some TS808 based overdrive. Their nice midrange hump sits in well with the Mesa 6L6 tubes and adds a bit of tightness to the sound without squashing and gives a perfect sustain for soloing. I use an overdrive all the time with my amp and use my guitar's volume control to dictate screaming solo (full vol) or rhythm clip (halfway)

Don't give up on it just yet, it took me a few months to really start finding good tones in my Dual Rec.... and if all else fails, you should find a Mark IV from Mesa and test it out... you could probably sell your triple rec and get one with ease.

Maybe try an EQ pedal in the mix. It might help you tighten things up for the fast riffing you are looking for. I have heard good things about the dano fish n chips pedal.

Yeah, +1 on the Eq pedal. I use the $29.99 Danelectro Fish and Chips 7-band Eq. Works wonders for me. I love that thing. Durastically helps scoop my EMG's, and I love the Triple. That thing is a beast. Wouldn't have anything less!!

-AJH

try an emg loaded guitar. i own a trip and play death metal. i don`t seem to need an e.q. or other sweetener. to get it sounding brutal and tight. try ch.3 modern, diodes, bass,mid,treb, all @ 12`oclock pres around 1,2 and gain no more than 2:30-3`Oclock.

I would say try an EQ and maybe some EMGs depending upon the tone you are after.

Actually, you could even try one eq in front of the amp and one in the loop. If you still can't find the sound, try mic'ing and eq'ing there before the PA. This should give you your sound to most of the club except up front unless you have an isolation box then you can mic inside there and play through the PA basically and have the floor monitors give you the end product of your sound.

Especially because you could always use it as a clean boost if you don't like the eq effect.

Guitarzan said:
I just plug straight into the amp. To me, Mesa's don't sound good with gobs of effects.

+1.

The only thing I ever really liked was using some delay in the loop.

Anyway, my suggestions are the EMG 81, not turning the mids to zero, not turning the bass past half, and turning the master volume up high enough that it'll drive the power tubes, but no so high that it'll drive them too hard.

Latest posts

Back