Triple Rectifier -- SMOKE!!! Bad Tube???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony1967

Reaction score
Hey Fellaz:

I recently switched out some EL34s in my triple rec and put in some JJ 6L6s I had lying around (one of the tubes had a guide pin broken, but I was sure I seated it correctly). I turned the amp on to hear a loud buzz and SMOKE coming from the back (couldn't tell exactly where from and there was a burning smell--). I immediately turned it off and after a while put the EL34s in and the amp started with no problem. I also switched in the original 6L6s and had no problem. Is the amp OK now? There seems to be no problems. Should I have the amp checked out? I read elsewhere here on the board that it might be a screen resistor. What the hell is a screen resistor and how costly is it to fix? I believe the amp is still under warranty (less than a year old).

Any help here would be appreciated.

Anthony1967

Smoke is not good. I would cease using the amp until you get it looked at. One thing you can do is just make that all 4 power tubes glow blue when you take the amp out of stand by. If all 4 tubes glow blue then your screen resistor did not get blown but there might be some damage inside. If any tubes do not glow blue then you most likely blew a screen resistor or possibly did some worse damage. The first thing you should do is take it in and get the amp checked though just to be sure. You probably voided your warranty by using the JJ tubes.

Greg

Smoke is never good and a burnt component can't fix itself. Take it to a tech to be checked over and repaired. When you plu a power tube in with a broken index pin there are many things that can be damaged depeding on which way it was plugged in. Using JJ tubes can't void your warranty.
Jerry

I remember reading on here about someone sending their amp to Mesa repair and them getting into a big stink because they didn't have "Mesa spec'd" tubes installed. This isn't specified on the warranty info other than to contact your local repair facility. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend leaving the JJ's installed when sending your amp in for repair work.

Greg

I don't remember the exact details but if you read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act you can find out. I ran into this years ago when Chrysler tried voiding warranties on cars that didn't get their oil changed at the dealership. I also used to run into this when using aftermarket parts from Napa and other parts places rather than factory parts.
Jerry

What would be the best authorized service center in the NYC area? I'm in Brooklyn.

the power tubes in my rec dont ever glow blue... are they always supposed to glow blue or just the moment you flick it out of standby?

All tubes are different so it really is dependent upon the brand of tube. Regardless you will have some sort of blue going on in your power tubes when you have it in operation. You might have to look for it but it will be there. Sovteks and EH power tubes have a VERY bright blue color when operational. Some say too much blue is a sign of poor vacuum techniques but as long as it sounds good that's all that matters.

Greg

JerryFJA said:
I don't remember the exact details but if you read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act you can find out. I ran into this years ago when Chrysler tried voiding warranties on cars that didn't get their oil changed at the dealership. I also used to run into this when using aftermarket parts from Napa and other parts places rather than factory parts.
Jerry

I don't think the GM dealer would be too happy to see my car come in for work "yeah i didn't feeling like repairing the exhaust with your parts so I just slapped two turbos on there :)"

Greg

Hey greg, I looked at every nook and cranny of the tubes in operation and I'm not seeing any blue in any of my tubes, just the orange glow (all Mesa)... is this a problem?

Sorry to hijack the thread by the way - after this i'll be done

Shep said:
the blue glow idea is more a cloud around the plates of blue misty light..

It looks different in every tube. I know in JJ's you can't really see it but sov's and EH's it looks a bright blue glow that is extremely noticable.

Greg

Back