Triple Rec. Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenny D

Reaction score
I have a Triple rec and its making this pulsating, almost helicopter sounding noise in one of the channels, anyone have an idea of what it might be. Im basically Tube amp retarded.

What is speaker impedence? and how would I go about replacing the preamp tube and what kind should I buy. I really appreciate all your help!

I would say stick with the Mesa brand tubes, after all that is what the amp was designed around. Although many mesa owners around here including me dig the Tung-Sol 12AX7's, so you might wanna conside that if you'd like.

Jenny D said:
What is speaker impedence? and how would I go about replacing the preamp tube and what kind should I buy. I really appreciate all your help!

Speaker impedence is the load the speaker places on the amp, measured in Ohms. If you have a 8 Ohm speaker (or cabinet) be sure you plug it into the 8 Ohm jack on the amp. Improper speaker loads can sometimes create that "motorboating" sound. Did you notice if the power tubes seem to pulse a blue or purple glow with the motorboating?

The pre-amp tubes are the smaller tubes inside those metal cans. The cans have a spring inside them to keep the tube (and can) seated. Simply rotate the can until it pops off. The tube can be removed by gently rocking the tube while pulling straight up (don't twist). when you remove the tube, take notice of where the big gap between the pins is. You will need to line that gap up with the socket when you re-install them. The metal can has two bumps at the bottom which line up with notches in the hole around the preamp tube. Simply put the can over the tube (make sure the hole in the end of the spring is over the little glass point on the tube), line up the bumps in the can with the notches and firmly push the can all the way down, then turn it to lock it in. That's it !!!

Dom

Back