Triple rec output sweet spot...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jm1681

Reaction score
The singer/guitar player in my band uses a Bogner Uberschall which is setup to produce practice/live volume with the master output set at 1 o'clock.

Supposedly, he had researched a bit and found that the amp [supposedly] works optimally with the master at 1 o'clock.

Is there such a thing with the Triple Rectifier?

That's where I run my Dual, I've found from 12:30 to 1 is the best spot for me.

I tried 12 recently and it seems to have opened up the sound a bit.

Still tight, but a bit more airey.

I'll fiddle I suppose :)

Maybe I'll have to give that a shot--Ive been messing with putting my gain @ lower levels : 12-1 oclock instead of the usual 2:30-3. Its really opened my ability to turn the amp up a little more. This might make things better? :wink:

I tried the Vintage mode of channels 2 & 3 over the weekend (For the first time since I got the amp believe it or not). Pleasantly surprised actually.

The bass control is much softer in these modes. You can crank the bass control up a bit without ever going into the subsonic area of the modern modes.

We'll see how it works at practice tonight.

Oh, and I'm at 1 o'clock now. 12 was good, so I figured I'd keep going.

jm1681 said:
I tried the Vintage mode of channels 2 & 3 over the weekend (For the first time since I got the amp believe it or not). Pleasantly surprised actually.

The bass control is much softer in these modes. You can crank the bass control up a bit without ever going into the subsonic area of the modern modes.

I went back to the Vintage mode myself. There is a sweetness to the mid-range there that seems to be absent from the Modern mode. I like it so far but there is a definate trade off in the bottom end deparment. I wish there was some sort of way to blend these 2 voicings togethere to get the good qualities of both. I do notice that the bottom end mushes out quicker and if you turn the gain up on it you'll get mush before you know it. We'll see what happens though-- :wink: Let me know what you find with it and where you end up @--

That's where a graphic EQ can be useful. You can get the tone stack characteristics of the Ch.2 Vintage setting, then simply add in a graphic EQ in your effects loop with everything flat-lined except for whatever bass frequencies you'd like to boost. For example, 200 Hz is infamous for producing mud when boosted, so you might actually cut that frequency by 1 to 3 db (a mild cut) while simultaneously boosting the 100 Hz frequency by roughly the same amount. Now when you dial up the bass on your Recto's bass knob, it will give you more overall bass, but as much as 6 db more at 100 Hz than at 200 Hz.

This means that when you use the Recto's bass knob and dial back on the bass until just below the point where the 200 Hz range starts to turn your bass levels to mud, you will still have plenty of bass at the lower, less muddy 100 Hz frequency range. Done carefully and tastefully, this can yield a Vintage tone, with all its sweet mids, with plenty of powerful low-bass frequency thump, chug and chunk.

In fact, you can take this a bit further by dialing up a few more decibels of 800 Hz mids for a more singing tone, and/or some 1.6 KHz mids for a brighter, cutting boost for solos.

The key is judicious and minimal alteration of the Recto's original sound. Just enough tweaking to customize the Recto's already great tone to your particular taste.

You can do this, just run two Rec's at once! Seems funny but alot of guitarists run more then one amp at a time. Tool dude has been doing it forever, Mark Tremonti does it now, he has a uber for the top end and rec for the bottem end. Tom from blink has been mixing a triple with a marshall forever as well.

Micah said:
jm1681 said:

I went back to the Vintage mode myself. There is a sweetness to the mid-range there that seems to be absent from the Modern mode. I like it so far but there is a definate trade off in the bottom end deparment. I wish there was some sort of way to blend these 2 voicings togethere to get the good qualities of both. I do notice that the bottom end mushes out quicker and if you turn the gain up on it you'll get mush before you know it. We'll see what happens though-- :wink: Let me know what you find with it and where you end up @--

Latest posts

Back