triple rec or roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric

Reaction score
This is my first post. I cannot seem to decide between a triple rec and a roadster. I play mostly metal or nu metal. The local boogie dealer suggested the triple for the type of music I play. He said the extra 50 watts of power in the triple really helps push the bottom end( I use low tuning, drop b & c ) however I really like the idea of having four channels and reverb of the roadster. Is the gain on the roadster comprable to the trip rec? Ive heard the clean chan on the rdstr is a lot better. In preperation for the purshase of a tri rec I got a boss rv5 and a dd3 for fx. Im leaning towards the trip due to the fact that my band plays really loud during pratice and ive heard the gain is brutal however the features on the rdstr is very tempting. Ive played on both of them in the store but icannot crank them in the store to play at the levels of my pratice, they are both very touchy it would take months of assults on my local dealer to make a decent comparison. I do not want to make a decision based soley on the gain channels and i do play alot of clean stuff away from the band. Please help. This is a huge invest ment for me. Two years ago i was saving money for a boogie and i got impatient and bought a line6 hd147 :evil: huge mistake

I say you save up for a Road King II. Rectifier distortion and the best cleans. Buying the Tripple rec or the Roadster might be a mistake.

the difference between 100 and 150 watts is only a couple db in volume. Personally I think anything over 100 watts is just a manufacturer scam to sell more tubes when replacement time comes around.

Channels 3 and 4 on a roadster come straight from a dual rectifier anyway.

If your playing numetal the triple rec is your amp. The roadster which i have limited experience with is nice, its very versitile and covers many genres of music. The triple rec is just mean and was built to be aggressive but the more you get t know it the more tones you can dail in. The idea that an extra 50 watts wont produce much more volume is true though it will produce a broader tone (Platypus had a post around here about wattage i think). You have delay and reverb i'd say triple rec, yes I own one :wink:

maybe;
If your undecided, but are leaning toward a triple rec, buy a second hand one and save yourself some money. There always on e-bay and some great deals are available, you may even want an older 2 channel. You could save $600-$700 dollars, but the point is someone else has lost the money on it.

Roadster or the RKII, the dual and triple recs are pointless now that the roadster and the RKII's are available. I have had a triple rec and i traded it in for my RKII, there is no comparison. From what I hear the roadster has alot better cleans than the triple, the triple has not so good cleans, even if you dont plan on using any cleans the roadster is still the way to go.

I use a Triple, and the salesman was actually correct - if you use a Triple with a C90 cab, your bottom end will be tighter and more defined. I like the Triple the best out of the Solo heads. The extra 50w does not add volume, but really does add headroom for the lower tunings (I play a 7 tuned to Bb).

I do like both the Road King and the Roadster, but the Solos have a raw edge to them that neither of those have - however, the cleans are a lot better in both amps. So it's really which flavor is more important to you...

barneyc4 said:
I say you save up for a Road King II. Rectifier distortion and the best cleans. Buying the Tripple rec or the Roadster might be a mistake.

This guy I believe has or is getting the roadking, make a decision for yourself using minimal blind input from others. Seems most favor what they have or what they don't have and want to push for what they have decided on to make themselves feel better about it.

There are other threads that compare the RKII to the Roadster and the cleans are identical. I own the Roadster head and it really is a lousy amp :lol:
I also have some choice property in the florida swamp lands for sale :wink:

Good luck and let us know what you get........ :D

+1 SCHNAPPY only you know what you want. my best advice would be to play them all, experiment. use different cabs speakers. bring your guitar ! triple rect or a raodster....neither one of these is a bad amp, jut buy the one that you want.

but play around you wouldn't marry the first girl that said she would go out with you would you ?

who knows you may end up leaving with a stelletto.

I agree. Best thing to do is play all the boogies possible. Never know what they might have to offer if you can't hear them for yourself in person. Also i do agree with your not going to make a bad choice with the triple or the roadster or RKII. Any of those amps are great!

i went with roadster because i like my lead channel to be 50watts. i feel i get more harmonics that way. also like to pick between tube and diode per channel. tho i think i always use tube.

I say Roadster or RKII if you can afford another $700.

You get the same tones that the Dual and Triple are known for, but you also get AMAZING cleans!! Nobody needs 150 wts in any situation, I'll get a few people to argue that, but 50 wts (tube watts) usually works for me in any situation.

FYI: I've been out of commission for a few days, I got in the smack dab middle of that ice storm that hit the mid-west and I still don't have internet and I'm posting this from my PDA/Phone. I was without power for 4 days and still don't have internet.... thank God for cell phones!

I've got both amps, and actually ordered and purchased the Roadster before I ever played it...primarily because of all of the talk of the great clean channel. I thought the Roadster was going to be my perfect amp, but I am rather dissapointed with the cleans...clean and fat mode break up too easily and are seriously lacking in volume compared to the other channels...I have gotten my best clean sounds using the tweed mode with the gain backed down and the channel volume high...I tend to like a really crystaline, chimey clean with very little breakup unless you really attack the strings...and lots of headroom. I like the 4 channels of the Roadster, and the idea, but I feel the clean is lacking and also wish Brit mode was better. It is easier for me to dial in a decent clean on my Triple...

Eric said:
This is my first post. I cannot seem to decide between a triple rec and a roadster...

Im not sure he's even in the market for the RK2 as he seems to be hovering around the $1700(us) mark.

nathan28 said:
-Roadster or the RKII, the dual and triple recs are pointless now that the roadster and the RKII's are available.

-I have had a triple rec and i traded it in for my RKII, there is no comparison.

-From what I hear the roadster has alot better cleans than the triple, the triple has not so good cleans,

-even if you dont plan on using any cleans the roadster is still the way to go.

??? :?

-The recto solo heads are far from pointless. They still remain cost effecient to those who cant step up to the big $$ RK2.

-The RK2 better be a better amp for the money, no doubt (i'll get one someday), but there is a comparison, the modern rectified distortion available from both amps, which maybe what the poster is after for his 'metal/nu-metal'

-The cleans on a triple rec are better than the roadster, yes I said it, 'better'. If my comparisons alone arent enough read the threads and posts from Mesa users here on the worlds leading mesa forum who say, "dissapointed", I can get 2 or 3 usable cleans out of a triple and the 150 watts is extremly helpful here for rounding out the sound.

-Even if you dont plan on using the cleans the Roadster is still the way to go?? Why?? The extra cost?? The reverb which the buyer already has??

Sorry to pick apart your post, normally I wouldnt give a terd, but I disagree with your entire post.

The poster wants to know about the roadster and the triple, and its not because I have one that I say "get a triple" its becuase its a **** good amp for metal/nu-metal, thats its existance!

I do like the "try'em all idea", thats the only way to really make yourself happy and buy with confidence :wink:

(again sorry for being a beeatch)

i like the clean on the roadster, never had a problem. as for the cleans on the triple being better...i can see that. i love the triple and think the 150w not needed is something that i don't agree with. i think with the 2 more power tubes you get less of a breakup and it keeps the ryth. playing a little tighter. but i think it suffers in the lead dept. but that is me personally. i like to have my lead channel @ 50w and push those tubes out like crazy. if you aren't going to play any leads, or you like the sound you can get out of the triple...cool. it is all in what you want. to me it made more sense to get the roadster cause it was a combo. only cause i believe the most important thing is the speakers and i coun't afford the 9hundy for the cab(4x12). 2x12 roadster combo is 2099. dual rect head + 2x12 cab is 1599 + 539 = 2138. i'm not a math guy but this doesn't make sense to me.

I can see no good reason to buy a Triple or Dual rec (or even a single for that matter) now that Roadster and Road King are on the scene. Sure they are a bit more dough but they do a lot more than the other Rectifiers.

I dunno I play metal and I am more than happy with my Triple. It has more than enough knobs and switches to keep me happy and I can get alot of different tones out of it. It does indeed have the headroom needed for down tuned metal and the sound I get is extremely tight for how many complaints I hear about floppy bottom end etc on the rectifiers. I don't mind the clean channel either it's not as nice as a Fender but it works and it more than adequate.

When I bought mine I hated it and really thought I made a big mistake because the previous owner had a mix of EL34's and those JJ's or whatever and Electro Harmonix preamp tubes in it which to me sounded horrible but once I did some serious reading around the net and asked many questions I went and bought all brand new stock Mesa tubes and switched to 6L6's and fell in love I did end up putting one of the Electro Harmonix tubes into the slot for the 3rd channel. The difference though was so extreme that I had to start from scratch on my settings and played until I found "my tone" took a bit but once I did I fell in love.

Never tried one of the roadsters or roadkings? yet so I can't compare but the triple is more than excellent.

I think Im going to get a used triple. David made some good points about that. I also wanted to get a 4x12 cab with it. For the price of a roadster I could get a head and cab :wink: Now i just have to find one. The local GC has a used one on hold for somebody but thier time runs out in a couple of days. I've never dealt with Ebay. Im kinda leary about buying outta state. Thanx for all the input :D

oyster said:
I can see no good reason to buy a Triple or Dual rec (or even a single for that matter) now that Roadster and Road King are on the scene. Sure they are a bit more dough but they do a lot more than the other Rectifiers.

Well, unless you don't really need 4 channels, and you aren't going to use progressive linkage, and "Brit" and "Fat" aren't part of the sounds you're going for. I considered a Road King back when I was in the market for a Mesa, and the reason I didn't go for it is I knew that since I was in a heavy rock/metal band, i wasn't really going to need a tremendous clean and all that other jazz. I just wanted kickin' distortion, and a usable clean...that's what I got. . I ended up with the Triple, and use it to it's fullest, and it's all i really needed. So, if you're not going to use all the bells and whistles a RK or RK II has to offer, then save your $1,000 and buy another cab or something :lol: :lol:

-AJH

Latest posts

Back