Triple Rec. Just Died!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodstone

Reaction score
I was playing with it at high volume levels and then there was a pop kinda like when you plug in a guitar to something and then there was no sound on any channels. The light on the front still comes on, the tubes still glow, but you can *barely* hear the guitar through the speakers and it hums loudly when you turn the output up.

So wtf did I do!?!?!?!

Well, start narrowing it down.....

Try it in S.D. and rectifer tube mode....if it works on S.D, then it is a recto tube.

A preamp tube maybe? Blown fuse?

I would guess it's a power tube issue.

Go through your manual and do the tube testing procedure provided by Mesa. It's definetly not a fuse issue because the amp wouldn't even turn on if it was.

Based on the logic that the louder you turn it up, the more the power section is being used and the noise gets louder, I'd assume power.

Yea it doesn't matter if its in Recto or SD mode, nothign happens. Ill take a look at the manual.

Ok I read the manual and it sounds like my Driver Tube went bad but I can't figure out which one is my Driver Tube!

Pull out the preamp tubes one by one. The one that went should have like a white powder in the bottom. I know for my roadking the v2 was cracked in shipping and there was a white powder on the bottom. I believe the driver tube should be the one closest to your guitar input. I could be wrong on that but I believe it is.

Ok I just pulled them all out one by one and cannot see anything physically wrong with them. Is it possible to swap them around to find out which one is bad or do I basically need to go buy some tubes and start swapping one by one?

razor7 said:
Pull out the preamp tubes one by one. The one that went should have like a white powder in the bottom. I know for my roadking the v2 was cracked in shipping and there was a white powder on the bottom. I believe the driver tube should be the one closest to your guitar input. I could be wrong on that but I believe it is.

Be careful! I was told by an electrical engineer/certified mesa tech that broken tubes are not very safe. (broken glass is obvious, but also some kind of poisonous material inside he mentioned?)

I would go with the fuse, then if it pops again you have a shorted power tube. As far as a TR blowing a preamp tube, the only time I have blew the top off of one was when I slipped taking a plate load voltage. Blew the top right off. It blew enough powder out I could have started my own Cartel.

Bloodstone said:
Ok I just pulled them all out one by one and cannot see anything physically wrong with them. Is it possible to swap them around to find out which one is bad or do I basically need to go buy some tubes and start swapping one by one?

You could just buy one tube or borrow one and swap one out at a time until you find the bad one. If it's not a preamp tube, I'd check the power tubes next. If were the fuse, you wouldn't get any lights or anything. Did you try changing channels and making sure you have a good speaker cable to your cab? (long story.... shortened, it took me 2 hours of looking for a blown fuse only to realize my speaker cable wasn't plugged in).

Hey Boogiebabies, are you the same one thats on HC that has the three numbers after your name?

Ok I bought some preamp tubes today ($7 each, good deal!). Just got through swapping through them all before I found the preamp tube that went bad. Now everything is peachy again :)

Oh and a quick note.... if a preamp tube goes bad it will get hotter than hell in a few seconds of being turned on!

*ices fingers down*

tele_jas said:
Bloodstone said:

You could just buy one tube or borrow one and swap one out at a time until you find the bad one. If it's not a preamp tube, I'd check the power tubes next. If were the fuse, you wouldn't get any lights or anything. Did you try changing channels and making sure you have a good speaker cable to your cab? (long story.... shortened, it took me 2 hours of looking for a blown fuse only to realize my speaker cable wasn't plugged in).

Hey Boogiebabies, are you the same one thats on HC that has the three numbers after your name?

No, if I ever frequent the HC I am Mark2C. From your post I can only think that some satanist stole my name and added the numbers. I used to be RisingForce72 with over 1000+ posts before HC blew out my user name, twice. I think he is Boogie666.

Not to be funny Tele, but if you have not noticed where I am from you would have probably realized that there are 16 churches within 2 miles of my house and I live just outside Charlotte in the country. There are church's in Charlotte that on Sunday have populations higher than most towns. I mean some that you can see from a mile. Let's consider that if I would ever change my user name it would be Boogie777, or I would be excommunicated. :D

Just for refrence, the Driver tube would probably mean the phase inverter and that would be the closest one to the power tubes

Latest posts

Back