Triple Rec Head Christmas Gift - Too loud?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gizzorge

Reaction score
Looking for some honest opinions. Is this thing just going to be too loud for any other application other than Madison square garden? it is not a multi watt version.

I plan to use it to play at home, and (someday) find a drummer/ band to jam with.

It arrives tomorrow. So looking forward to it, but also a little scared.

I'm no expert by any means, but while 150 is a lot of watts for a tube amp, the difference between 150 and 100 watts in volume is only a few decibels. Someone here will tell exactly how many. I want to say 5 but I'm not sure.

I now only play at home and own a 100w. I find that I get a really good sound at a moderate volume.

At lowest volumes you'll here the preamp distortion and as you bring up the volume, you'll hear the thickness get added in. I suspect I don't get a lot of power amp breakup, but it still sounds great.

The guys a boogie told me to set the output high-ish, (10-12 o'clock), then bring up the channel masters foe your volume. It's more fuller at lower volumes. You'll be fine I think

Time to trade it in for a Mini Recto =-o

A mini with a 1 x 12 for home use and a 2 x 12 for jams should be more than adequate. As has already been mentioned, 10 watts / 25 watts shouldn't be THAT much quieter and will also be way easier on your back. :shock: :lol:

biddifour said:
At lowest volumes you'll here the preamp distortion and as you bring up the volume, you'll hear the thickness get added in. I suspect I don't get a lot of power amp breakup, but it still sounds great.

The guys a boogie told me to set the output high-ish, (10-12 o'clock), then bring up the channel masters foe your volume. It's more fuller at lower volumes. You'll be fine I think

This is what I do with my Dual. I also adjust the FX Send to add volume to match the "loop bypass" sound level for the same channel settings. Channel 3, Modern, has its volume a little over 9:00 (as soon as you hear the actual volume begin to suddenly pick up). Channel 2 has Vintage a little over 10:00 and Raw at 11:00. Channel 1, Clean, is at about 10:30 with Gain at 1:00.

The moderate Output settings, as explained in the quote, gets the sound to balance out better with the treble boost filter on the control. If the Output is low, some of the higher frequencies are passing by far more easily than lower frequencies and that's the type of sound people complain about with this series of amps. 10:00 is about the minimum for a good sound. 11:00 to 12:00 sounds super-awesome to me.

Thanks for the tips everyone. It is sitting at UPS waiting for me. Was mint, everything included and free shipping for $900. Now I have a Mark V and A recto, Mesa bliss right? Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back