Tried a Mark V and hated it...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Until I found the right settings, that is!!

I took a trip over to Guitar Center today to try the head out. Played through a Recto 4x12 with a Les Paul. Tweaked for about 20 minutes and let me say, this thing was awful. It felt full of bass and treble, grainy, fizzy, and it lacked a lot of definition. I was using channel 3, 90 watts on Extreme and going into the EQ with the V pattern.

I finally asked the Guitar Center guy who showed it to me to set it up the way he would - he said he liked it so much he bought one - and give me a demo. He changed a few things - namely turned down the presence - and it sounded a little better, as if the tone was in there somewhere but not quite out in the open. I thanked him and went back to tweaking, and then found it: the tone that will make me sell 2 of my amps to fund this purchase. I turned the high frequency slider to zero, turned the treble and presence up, and WOW!!! Incredible amount of definition, very tight tracking and bass, and an awesome tone for lead!

My purpose in posting this is that if you haven't tried this yet, and are unhappy with channel 3, try it! I didn't get to spend a ton of time playing around with the amp - there was another sales guy using the amp room trying to sell some kid a JCM2000, saying it's better than a Boogie for mid-gain stuff - but I definitely am getting a Mark V after playing one today and the EQ trick is the reason why.

TheMagicEight said:
I turned the high frequency slider to zero, turned the treble and presence up, and WOW!!! Incredible amount of definition, very tight tracking and bass, and an awesome tone for lead!

I'll try that setting tonight. Thank you! :mrgreen:

Most of the problems haters face is that they go in and dial in a tone based on presumptions on what they think would sound good...

Channel 2, Mark I mode, crank that presence back up (around 3:00 for me) along with the treble and be prepared to fall even more in love. This was the channel I didn't like at first until I learned how to use it. I have been using the preset (dimed), a healthy amount of mids, and I am getting the creamiest neck pickup tones I've ever been able to get. I do however turn the bass completely off on the pre-eq. It still has some THUD to it.

Strangely enough, channel 3 clicked with me very quickly. Here are my settings for Extreme if you want to try them out. Single notes are thick, and the rhythm is tight, while killing all near-by small animals:

Loop bypass, 90 watts, Pentode
Gain: 3:00
Master: Depends on where I play, usually around 10:00, give or take.
Presence: 9:00 (this usually never moves no matter what on channel 3 on any mode)
Treble: 2:00
Mids: 10:00-11:00
Bass: 9:00

EQ Slider:
80: top of slider almost touching the highest white line. About 2/3 of the way up from mid-way.

240: Just a small bump up. Bottom of slider even with the mid-way line.

750: Bottom of slider just above the bottom white line. Not quite a full scoop.

2200: Same position as 240

6600: I match the bottom of the slider with the top of the 2200.

Pretty close to a classic V scoop, but a few tweeks to adjust to the rig. And it really doesn't sound that scooped. I think this amp and my guitar both have strong mid-range, so cutting mids doesn't have as much of a drastic effect.

I found the secret to tighter, chest pounding bass was to run it low on the pre-eq and boost it on the sliders. In fact without the sliders, I was very disappointed in the amp's low end. That's the only thing I miss about my Recto........the low end.

As far as brightness, I would say this amp is right in between my old Recto and Stiletto Ace. Keeping the presence low, lets you bump the slider up a tad without it being fizzy. And you still get that nice cut, like a chainsaw going through butter. However, I want to try out what you said. Turning the slider down and dialing up the other two. I'll see how that goes in practice this Thursday!

Have fun!

Awesome suggestions! The wait for this thing hurts after hearing it! I know there's so much to be discovered in this amp on all 3 channels; I'm really curious as to how it stands up to an XTC 101b. They're definitely different amps, but they essentially do the same thing as far as channel layout.

scott7d said:
I found the secret to tighter, chest pounding bass was to run it low on the pre-eq and boost it on the sliders. In fact without the sliders, I was very disappointed in the amp's low end. That's the only thing I miss about my Recto........the low end.
Coming from Rectifiers this was something that the Mark had to have for me to consider it. What I did was to actually raise the bass knob and lower the 240 slider way down, then raise 80. With that setting, I could take out where the mud would have been and replace it with the thumping bass. If I'm not mistaken, this is what the Uberschall does - though of course it's internal, not with a graphic EQ.

Another thing that I keep hearing about this amp is its ability to dial in so many different sounds. I think if I had to have only one amp, this would probably be it; I love the XTC but I think the Mark has it beat, for me. I could definitely see dialing it in one night for metal, then the next setting it up for classic rock with a Strat, all the while utilizing all 3 channels.

I will bet that it takes a while for these to catch on though. Seems like they're a different beast from the Mark IVs in that, and correct me if I'm wrong, you wouldn't set them up the same way. Probably after a year the tests between the IIC+ and the IV will start to be fair!

KH Guitar Freak said:
Most of the problems haters face is that they go in and dial in a tone based on presumptions on what they think would sound good...
Haha, that's what I did at first! After about 15 minutes my thoughts were "Wow, I'm glad I actually tried one of these out first. Guess I'll be getting a Mark IV..."

TheMagicEight said:
What I did was to actually raise the bass knob and lower the 240 slider way down, then raise 80. With that setting, I could take out where the mud would have been and replace it with the thumping bass. If I'm not mistaken, this is what the Uberschall does - though of course it's internal, not with a graphic EQ.

Another thing that I keep hearing about this amp is its ability to dial in so many different sounds. I think if I had to have only one amp, this would probably be it; I love the XTC but I think the Mark has it beat, for me. I could definitely see dialing it in one night for metal, then the next setting it up for classic rock with a Strat, all the while utilizing all 3 channels.

Again, I will try that out! Also, Would you trade that XTC for a V? :lol: That and the Uber are my dream amps!

scott7d said:
Again, I will try that out! Also, Would you trade that XTC for a V? :lol: That and the Uber are my dream amps!
Give me about a week to see if my amps sell!

Mark I mode with thick mode engaged=SEX!!!

Also, them Marks aren't exactly known to be low end monsters. But of you love tighter tone and plenty of midrange, the Mark series is for you, especially the Mark V...

TheMagicEight said:
Until I found the right settings, that is!!

I took a trip over to Guitar Center today to try the head out. Played through a Recto 4x12 with a Les Paul. Tweaked for about 20 minutes and let me say, this thing was awful. It felt full of bass and treble, grainy, fizzy, and it lacked a lot of definition. I was using channel 3, 90 watts on Extreme and going into the EQ with the V pattern.

I finally asked the Guitar Center guy who showed it to me to set it up the way he would - he said he liked it so much he bought one - and give me a demo. He changed a few things - namely turned down the presence - and it sounded a little better, as if the tone was in there somewhere but not quite out in the open. I thanked him and went back to tweaking, and then found it: the tone that will make me sell 2 of my amps to fund this purchase. I turned the high frequency slider to zero, turned the treble and presence up, and WOW!!! Incredible amount of definition, very tight tracking and bass, and an awesome tone for lead!

My purpose in posting this is that if you haven't tried this yet, and are unhappy with channel 3, try it! I didn't get to spend a ton of time playing around with the amp - there was another sales guy using the amp room trying to sell some kid a JCM2000, saying it's better than a Boogie for mid-gain stuff - but I definitely am getting a Mark V after playing one today and the EQ trick is the reason why.

Hey man, I tried your settings and it does sound AWESOME! I generally don't use Extreme too often, I stick to Mark IV, but this does provide allot of the low end punch that MkIV and IIc+ don't seem to have. I say "seem" because it may just be that I have not found it yet in those modes. The only drawback is you have to compensate for that low frequency slider being off by adjusting all of your channels, at least I have to because I use all three allot. Am I missing something here? I use the sliders on all three channels, don't use the preset knobs at all.

smd24fan said:
TheMagicEight said:
I turned the high frequency slider to zero, turned the treble and presence up, and WOW!!!

The only drawback is you have to compensate for that low frequency slider being off by adjusting all of your channels, at least I have to because I use all three allot. Am I missing something here?
yes--please give more details. i'm still getting way too much fizz on channel 3, and nothing i've tried will dial it back.

when you say 'high frequency slider to zero,' do you mean it was at the middle line (no boost or cut) or at the bottom line?

and smd24 fan, you mentioned compensating for the low frequency slider being off, but MagicEight was talking about the high frequency slider. am i missing something here?

thanks for any details.

scott from _actual time_ said:
smd24fan said:
TheMagicEight said:
I turned the high frequency slider to zero, turned the treble and presence up, and WOW!!!

The only drawback is you have to compensate for that low frequency slider being off by adjusting all of your channels, at least I have to because I use all three allot. Am I missing something here?
yes--please give more details. i'm still getting way too much fizz on channel 3, and nothing i've tried will dial it back.

when you say 'high frequency slider to zero,' do you mean it was at the middle line (no boost or cut) or at the bottom line?

and smd24 fan, you mentioned compensating for the low frequency slider being off, but MagicEight was talking about the high frequency slider. am i missing something here?

thanks for any details.

Oops! You caught me there, I meant high frequency. Since I posted, I've been able to adjust all three channels to where it sounds nice. I haven't had a chance to try this at high volume yet, so I'm not sure what the high treble and presence levels will do when I crank it up a bit. This has been a fun experiment, not sure I will stay with it though.

smd24fan said:
Oops! You caught me there, I meant high frequency. Since I posted, I've been able to adjust all three channels to where it sounds nice. I haven't had a chance to try this at high volume yet, so I'm not sure what the high treble and presence levels will do when I crank it up a bit.
cool--no problem.

i have to run the treble high and the Bright switch on because channel 3 way too loose for tight high-gain rhythm sounds if i don't. i have the Presence completely off to try to cut the fizz (it doesn't). so i would love an EQ tweak that would let me use a bit more Presence but that wouldn't have the shrill fizz.

i've also been using the EQ presets instead of the sliders because the sliders always sounded boomy and flat to me, like there was a blanket over the amp. i will fiddle with these settings and the Presence and see what i can get.

scott from _actual time_ said:
Yup, get it to zero, meaning no boost or cut. Here's a complete rundown of the settings I used:

Pentode Mode
Extreme
Bright on
90W
Slider EQ, not preset
Gain: 2:00
Master: noon?
Output: noon?
Treble: 1:00
Presence: either 11:00 or 1:00; I can't remember
Mids: 11:00
Bass: 1:00

80Hz: most of the way up
240Hz: most of the way down
750Hz: Completely cut
2200: no boost or cut
6600: no boost or cut

I don't know how this would sound with a band setting, or with a cab other than a Recto 4x12 with V30s. I do know that for when I was playing, it was what sold me on the amp over a Mark IV. Got me a big bottom end, remained tight, and had enough mids to be very, very nice! Not to mention the very glassy lead tone!

Got just enough of Ch1 and Ch2 to know I could work something out, but I don't know how I would set it up with those EQ settings. I'm sure I'll figure out something.

Haha, Mark VI will have separate EQ sliders!

shogun said:
first mistake was to scoop the mids on a mid-instrument
A Mark series amp with the mids scooped still has a ton of midrange. Haven't you ever seen Hetfield's or Petrucci's eq setup?

ryjan said:
shogun said:
first mistake was to scoop the mids on a mid-instrument
A Mark series amp with the mids scooped still has a ton of midrange. Haven't you ever seen Hetfield's or Petrucci's eq setup?

I agree with you here. I have been scooping my mids completely on the EQ, and leaving it around 10:00 on the pre-EQ, and it doesn't sound totally scooped. I've always thought Boogie and PRS both had some pronounced mid-range to their sound, and pair well together.

Latest posts

Back