Triaxix with 20/20

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarman52

Reaction score
Hey Folks here at the Board... got a quick question...

I want to hook up my Tri and 2020 as a stereo setup.....but using "Y" cables to hook up to final output going to the speaker cab.....would that kind of setup cause any problems...either with equipment or sound????

I have been using everything in "MONO" mode....and every couple of months I switch the cables in each unit so I am using the other side of the In and outs of the Tri and my 2020......

and I would like to hook it all up so I can use both left and right channels at the same time......but the Final output to the Speaker cab would be a Mono /Stereo output via the "Y" cable..........

Thanks again for any input here....

This place is just awesome.....for bouncing ideas around.....

George

Im not 100% sure what you are asking...but I do know that there is basically no point in trying to run stereo if you are not using more than one cab. The whole point of stereo is to get the channel separation...so just run mono...

I can see if you are using a stereo effects unit why you would want to use the Y cable. Your Y cable would need to be between the triaxis and the 20/20, so you only use one channel of the 20/20. Remember to read the 20/20 manual, on the unused 20/20 channel with no speaker load the volume needs to be fully down and the pressence fully up - read the manual to check this.
Ian

Thanks for the replies..... I kinda thought that but figured I would throw the idea out to see if anyone else had tried it...... so Mono it is.....and Ian...you made a good point...I did know that the Unused Channel Volume had to be completely off..... but I did not know about the Presence.. control I will go back and check my Manual.....

Again, Thanks to all here at BB.....this is such a great place for Boogie Info...

George

Triaxis (ver.2 no mod)
Lexicon MPX 500
Mesa 20/20 power amp..
GCX Switcher
Ground Control Foot Controller...

I'm curious because I think you can combined the outputs. I know you can build an amp with to SE power tubes and two Output Transformers and then parallel the outputs into one speaker cab. Ground potential would be the same within the amp.

i think you would have to double the load on the amp though.

Combining two 20 watt waveforms with a "Y" is not the same thing as bridging the output transformers to a single output (to achieve 40W mono). I have to imagine that distortion (not the good kind) would be roughly doubled and there would be potential for wave cancellation or some nasty sort of comb filtering. :evil:

This is why they have a mono output on most effects units - you don't "Y" the stereo outs to your pre's effects return or power amp input (and this is a low-voltage signal). I certainly wouldn't recommend a "Y" for a high voltage output.

:idea: You could wire your cabinet for stereo inputs and connect the 20/20 in that manner.

jbw

Completely different than using a Y out of a stereo FX. Unless you are using a stereo FX before the amp. Using a Y cable is exactly the same thing as bridging the OT to a single output. Your just doing it out of the amp instead of in the amp. As long as the Y cable is paralleling the outputs together. 100W amp just has two sets of power tubes paralleled going into the primary of the OT. Instead of paralleling the secondary of the OT. Mesa amp are basically the same as any other amp design just voiced different.

Honestly i would call Mesa and ask, and or get on a forum like ppwatt.com and ask. This is mostly a players forum and not an amp builder tech forum. There certainly isn't anything wrong with wiring your cab for stereo inputs if you can get the right load on each jack. Also if you run stereo FX into the same cab with the stereo jacks you can have the same phase problems that mrcomputer was talking about.

Back