Triaxis tube options and tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanezgtr

Reaction score
Is it possible to get tubes that would make my Triaxis sound more like a Dual Rectifier on the high gain settings? Can different preamp tubes add saturation like a Dual Rectifier? What variety of sounds can I get just by changing the tubes in my Triaxis? Should I go with Mesa tubes? Please help, I have never changed my tubes before.

I'm not sure but I think not.
Well I get high saturation tones with my TA and stock tubes.I use an external graphic equalizer to cut some mid bass,TA seems with less distortion because it's full of mids bass.
If doing that you still wanting more distortion !!! ,put a pedal in front of it.
But dude after scooped and played loud with 2.90,it can smash a sterille sound of a rectifier.It is much more defined,even scooped.
Luck :wink:

If your Triaxis doesn't have the Recto tone in the red mode, then you probably won't find what you're looking for.

If it does, then check your tube for that mode. If its chinese and not to your liking then you might consider a Tungsol 12AX7. The difference will be subtle, but noticeable if you're sensitive to such things.

What tube would drastically effect the sound of the Lead 1 red? V 1,2,3,4, or 5? Also what tubes is everyone using, especially Petrucci fans? Doug at Dougs tubes suggested
V1 - Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7
V2 - High gain JJ ECC83S
V3 - Penta Labs 12AX7C
V4 - Shuguang 12AX7C9
V5 - Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Let me know your thoughts on these tubes, he said this is what they are putting in Rectos and should help me get there.

Tubes won't effect the sound drastically .
There'll be subtle changes.
I told you more saturation only with a pedal or external equalizer. :wink:
I bought retubing set from Dougs's and I didn't liked.
Stock tubes sound a lot better to my ears.

Thanks 18 & life, I am starting to think it is isn't worth going with all these other brands and just sticking to MESA tubes.

Experimantation is always good however I did mine and stock tubes always gave me the tone I want.
But one thing I know for shure,tubes will not give you more distortion or saturation,they can give you a subtle more saturation BUT really more saturation like a pedal,they won't.
Try an graphic equalizer pedal in the loop.They are cheap.
Cut mid bass around 250 to 500.-3 to -5 Db depending the pedal.
Spend money on a graphic equalizer pedal is cheapier than trying tubes.
At least if the pedal won't help you,its is always a good thing for other tones. :wink:

yes,I did retubed mine with chinese ones and i can't tell one difference at all.That's why I said retube with the stock ones. :D

Again

I retubed mine with chinese ones and i can't tell one difference at all.That's why I said retube with the stock ones. :wink:

All tubes supply subtle differences, so even if there is a small change it's going to be minimal and very easy to dial out. I never worry about ruining the tones I have, because everytime I retube is a chance for me to re-experiment with different things.

Tubes do change the pre-amp sound, but as some have said, in a very subtle and difficult to hear (or perceive, I may say) way. You have to be very discerning to really appreciate the difference between "good today's" tubes and supposedly higher end NOS type of tubes. But I would adventure to say you can certainly hear a better quality retubing from a low-cheap one.

The tube set suggested in a previous posting is, quite frankly, lame. Cheap russian and chinese tubes in V4 and V5... Before doing that, and if you don't know much about tubes, simply get a stock Mesa set or something like Groove Tubes or JJ's. Safer to do that.

Thanks I went with all MESA stock tubes, didn't want to deal with problems and MESA has a great warranty. 5 12Ax7's and 8 6l6's

The Tri is geared towards MARK tones. :twisted:

Why go Recto, when you can go MK III?! http://home.comcast.net/~leadfootdriver/234.mp3

Nice tone, I haven't really heard the Mark III. What would be some settings on the Triaxis that would sound like a Mark III?

ibanezgtr said:
Nice tone, I haven't really heard the Mark III. What would be some settings on the Triaxis that would sound like a Mark III?

The Lead 2 Red is the Mark III on my Tri. I has a version 2.0 with the fat mod.

Oh ok that's what I use a lot, mine is #7000's I thought Lead 2 RED is a Mark IV, I guess they sound very similar, right? Do you use the Dynamic Voice on the Triaxis to make it sound more like a Mark? If so what are some cool settings to get close to the tone of your recording.

You might trying playing with some eq BEFORE the preamp as well. Try something like a Boss pedal eq between the guitar and preamp. Do the "frown sound" thing a little . . . dip the bass and treble ends so it looks like an unhappy face. I dip the bass, but leave the treble. Also play with adding some boost with the eq's output slider.

How you eq before you hit the preamp can have a HUGE effect on your tone, and clarity. Rolling down the bass lets you hit it with more gain but without so much flub.

Back