Triaxis questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mefgames

Reaction score
So I'm doing some amp investigating for future purchases, and I come across some info on the Mesa Triaxis preamp. The more I read, the more intrigued I become with all the capabilities of this unit. Don't get me wrong, I truly enjoy the chase and acquisition of new equipment, but as I'm getting older, I'm wondering if owning one unit that "does it all" might not be such a bad thing. According to the Mesa online manual, the Triaxis when coupled with a 2:50 or 2:90 can get the much sought after Mark II C+ sound, the cleanest cleans possible, and even the heavy dual recto sounds, and everything in between. If there are any Triaxis gurus out there, please enlighten me as to the validity of the above argument.

Thanks, Mike

Well, you'll find more answers in the Rack section, but that's ok. I have the TriAxis/2:Ninety combo and I love it. The only thing mine doesn't do convincingly is the Recto sound, but I hear some do if they have the right revision of Lead 1 Red. As far as Mark series tone, heck yes, you'll be in Heaven. Super fluid c+ sounds, tight Mark IV sounds, very very nice cleans, and everything in between. For the kind of stuff I like [Dream Theater type stuff] you'll need a good Traditional 4x12 cab with some broken in Vintage 30s tho, so expect to build some upper body strength.

-dave

Yes, the Triaxis with the 2:Ninety power amp nails the sounds of the IIc+ and the Mark IV, and other Mark-series amps along the way. Like jaquetapus said, if you like Petrucci's tone, you'll find it here. He used to use the Triaxis/2:90, used the Road King for a while, then switched back to the Mark IV, whose tone is found in all versions of the Triaxis.

You'll also get the Carlos Santana type of Mark-series tone if that's your speed... or Metallica, as this is part of James Hetfield's rig, too.

Don't count on it for recto tones. There was one revision of the Triaxis that had a recto circuit replacing Lead 1 Red, but due to a parts issue, it is no longer available. It's not worth chasing down that rev used because it's still not going to give you the recto tone unless you pair it with the Rectifier 100 watt power amp. For the flexible tone options, though, you want the 2:Ninety, which has multiple voicing modes (Half power, Deep, and Modern) -- you don't get the deep and modern settings on the 2:Fifty amps, and the half-power is only on the OLD 2:50 power amp; not the current 2:Fifty product.

The 2:Ninety is the simul-class power amp section of two Mark IV amps... stereo, you know!

Also, don't count on the cleanest Boogie tones. Yes, they're great clean tones. But that manual was written years before the Lone Star came out featuring Boogie's cleanest clean, which also appears in the Road King II (but not the orig. RK).

I have a Triaxis rig and an RK II rig. The recto tone is a different animal. Can't beat the triaxis flexibility, though the RK II comes close.

Scott

yes, the triaxis is a beast. i have used mine for close to ten years now and I have been able to coax nearly any kind of tone I would ever want out of mine. you will not be dissapointed if you choose to go that route. I use mine with a mesa 20/20 power amp and that is also a great combination. It works great live (always has more than enough volume), is farily light and you do not need an attenuator to play at home with it. the 2:90 is one of the greatest amps of all time.....my best friend has one with his triaxis and it does sound great. BUT, it comes with significant downsides to it.....1) it's weight....it feels like a small section of a concrete sidewalk to carry around, 2) it is expensive to re-tube due to all of the tubes and 3) it is the single LOUDEST thing on this planet....this amp is loud enough to be placed in the middle of a factory and you could shut the facility down with the 2:90. so if you plan to use it at small venues or at home then you will be forced to either a) go deaf or b) buy one or two attenuators to be able to even have a chance of "opening" the 2:90 up at all.

Latest posts

Back