Triaxis Phantom Power AC adaptor

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sean106ESP

Reaction score
Does anyone have a name or direct link I can order the proper AC adapter to go into TA to phantom power my Midi cable out to my GC pro? I tried radio shack and they have a million tip ends and I just wanted to know if they recommend one?

Thanks!

ac adapter? the triaxis has a 7pin output, i'm not familar with the ground control, but if the ground control is only 5 pin then you just need a standard 5pin midi cable. i dont know of any ac adapter for this setup, nor do i see why you need something of that sort.

I power my ground control that way. just plug the barrel connector into the jack on the triaxis and use a 7 pin midi cable - got to have the 7-pin cable though - not a regular 5-pin midi cable.

My ground control is the older one -I've never used a Pro and don't know for sure if the MIDI out is a 7 pin or not - can't imagine they'd go backwwards with the funtionality though

not sure the size of the barrel connector but before using it on the Triaxis I used the 5-7 pin midi cable that Rocktron makes and I'm pretty sure it's the same size - was a little loose on the Rocktron cable but fits snugly into the triaxis - worked great and saved running another power cord for the foot controller

yeah i have a 7 pin to 5 pin and the GC pro must need the juice, as the manual of the TA says to get the 12 volt 500 mp adapter, plug it in right above where the power cord to the TA goes out and then it powers and activates the 7pins to power the 5 pin that goes into my GC Pro.

Same thing with my Diezel VH4S it provided power to my old GC, but not the new one. But the GCX, back in my old rack did power the GC Pro.

Thanks guys! :0

oh what is a barrel connector? :)

My GC Pro came with a power adapter. The barrel is the same size as a standard Boss adapter. It's 9 VAC not 12 VDC, 500 mA. Here is the info right off the power supply itself:
SCEPTRE
CLASS 2 POWER SUPPLY
MODEL : U090050A
P/N : PA-9500PL6A
INPUT : 120VAC 60HZ 8W
OUTPUT : 9VAC 500mA

yeah my GC pro adapter does not fit tight in the TA adapter input nor does is provide the power to it. So I am just using the ac adapter direct to the GC Pro and the 7 pin is just midi controlling everything :(

Thats strange, my GC Pro power supply fits and works perfectly in the TriAxis jack. are sure your using the right one?

i am pretty sure. At practice the other night i brought the rig to the jam space and used the AC that came with the pro to my GC Pro, and the 7 pin to 5 pin to just send midi messages and switch my TA and G-Force but I will try again later but for some reason the ac adapter that came wit hthe pro fits into the TA but every loose and not like a real solid fit in the connector hole above the power cable line of the TA hmmmmm confused now :(

So yeah the power adapter that works with my GC Pro fits right into the TA but no power comes down the 7 pin to the 5 pin and powers the TA. Maybe I have the wrong cable. I have one of those rocktron 7 to 5 midi cables like this:

cable_5to7ping.jpg

But maybe my adapter is wrong, as it fits right in the TA but is loose and can come right out easy. Ahh so frustrating. :evil: :evil: :evil: :?: :?: :?:

In case people think I am nuts here is a snippit from the manual ;)

From the boogie manual
TA.jpg
[/img]

(disclaimer-again) - I can only speak for the older ground control -

If you want to power the floor controller from the TA you need to use a midi cable with 7 pins on each end. The Rocktron cable you showed a few posts ago works great too but with it the the 5-pin end goes to the MIDI IN on the TA and then 7-pin end goes into the MIDI OUT of the GC.

that's how mine works - a quick look at the pro manual online looks like it works the same way. the GCX powers it through a standard 5-pin MIDI cable but for anything else you need the 7 pin

sjones said:
(disclaimer-again) - I can only speak for the older ground control -

If you want to power the floor controller from the TA you need to use a midi cable with 7 pins on each end. The Rocktron cable you showed a few posts ago works great too but with it the the 5-pin end goes to the MIDI IN on the TA and then 7-pin end goes into the MIDI OUT of the GC.

that's how mine works - a quick look at the pro manual online looks like it works the same way. the GCX powers it through a standard 5-pin MIDI cable but for anything else you need the 7 pin

ahhhhh so the GC Pro does take 7 pins not just five. Hmmm ok back to drawing board. 7 pin to 7 pin then? Thanks man!

i used to have that same rig. you have to run the power supply for the ground control through the back of the triaxis and use a 5 pin to 5 pin midi cable. it will work then. if you have the abacus with no power supply then go to radio shack and match up the correct plug for the power supply to fit in the abacus. then do the same thing. run the power supply through the back of the triaxis. that unit does not have phantom power built in.

So with the power supply into the back of the TA it will power the GC with a regular 5 pin MIDI cable? I knew it would power the abacus but thought that was it - kinda like the GC with the GCX (or so I heard). I never tried it that way - just assumed it needed the 7-pin. I'll have to try that since my back-up 7 pin cable isn't the most reliable and I do have another 5-pin cable somewhere. hope it works wih the old one too. thanks for the info.

I ended up just putting the GCX into my rack as it phantom powers the GC Pro with 5 pin, and plus I can use it when I take it home and hook up myDiezel VH4S and Roland JC-120. I gave up on trying to find the right adapter for the TA to phantom power the GC Pro:

rack%20smaller.JPG

Incase youre still wondering.........

The power supply for the Ground Control PRO is:
9volts AC
500ma
and the plug is "N" style which is 5.5mmx2.5mm which is slightly larger inner diameter than most standard barrel plugs which are usually 2.1mm

The Ground Control PRO accepts 5 pin only, using the outer 2 pins for phantom power. If you wanted to use the triaxis to phantom power the GCP, first double check that the voltages will be the same (make sure its only 9V and only AC power, not DC). If the voltages line up, then you can make an adapter box if you're handy with a soldering gun. Just get a 7 pin MIDI Jack, an N style barrel plug, and a 5 pin midi jack. Wire the corresponding midi signal only pins from the 7 pin to the 5 pin, then use the corresponding phantom power pins from the 7 pin jack and wire it to a barrel power wire or a barrel jack. Then plug it into the ground control.

Or you can get creative on the opposite side. At the rack, make an adapter to turn a standard 5 pin cable into a 5pin+phantom power. (3active pins for the midi signal, then get a DC wall wart, and splice it into the remaining 2 pins for phantom power).

I'm currently building a rack interface and breakout box for my rig so i can just send the 9VAC through an XLR connection from my rack, to a breakout box on my pedalboard which will be wired up to a N style barrel for my ground control, so i dont have to worry about the phantom power at all.

I still think he's got the wrong wall wart, because the one that came with and fits my GC Pro fits perfectly into the phantom power jack on the back of the TriAxis.

Proabbly right, but the one I have powers my GC Pro but wont thru the TA. But does not matter anymore with the GCX in there. I have a nice long 5 pin to 5 pin out and have my phantom power and when I am home I can hook good ol Mr. Diezel and the Roland Head. ;)

t0aj15 said:
I still think he's got the wrong wall wart, because the one that came with and fits my GC Pro fits perfectly into the phantom power jack on the back of the TriAxis.

+1

Back