TRIAXIS LACKS MIDS FOR ME?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mribanezmetal

Reaction score
Hi guys. I know I will be in the minority here but after 2 years of endless tweaking, I've conclude the Triaxis lacks mids for me.

GEAR: Musicman JP6 (10's) - Triaxis - 2:90- G-Major - 2 2x12 MESA cabs

I added 3dB of 249Hz (0.8 oct) and 3dB 749Hz (0.8 oct) and run DYNAMIC VOICE on 1 for dirty (deep/modern) and 0 for clean tones (deep) and no greater - BTW I HATE the DV function.

Using LD2 yellow and RYTH Green modes only

As always tone is subjective but FOR ME there was always 'something missing' from this awesome rig. After using a Roadster at a gig recently I decided to review my settings as it had a great low-mid range quality to it. I have been playing 16 years and a lot of those years playing professionally 3-5 nights a week so I get the chance to use my gear at volume and not in the bedroom.

My favourite tones are from Marco and JP himself (earlier era) I think I'd really like to hear a Studio Pre with my 2:90 as the 5 band is a great feature on an already mega awesome pre.

Just thought I'd post my experiences and see what ya all think particularly in regard to the EQ within the Triaxis etc....

Cheers! :)

What kind of guitar and pick ups are you using? Those can be factors as well. What is your 2X12 loaded with speaker wise?

The tri does seem to be naturally heavier in the bass department and lower in the mid and treble though. I feel I can EQ that stuff out, but from a baseline perspective it appears to be the way its contructed.

But your right, sound is massively subjective! What can sound great to one person, may sound like garbage to another.

I had a similar problem with my previous rig (not a Triaxis though) and I got those mids cooking by changing to more midrangey speakers. I see you're using Mesa 2x12's. I just sold my Mesa 2x12 to get an Earcandy Soverign 1x12 with a "Green Machine" speaker and that speaker is just dripping with mids! I totally underestimated the importance of the voicing of speakers in a rig. It totally makes or breaks it. V30's sounded buzzy and sterile in comparison. Another speaker I've heard much great things about is the Celestion G12H30. A lot of people like to mix those with V30's in the same cabinet, so if you're up for some cabinet surgery you might get some good results there.

Im playing a John Petrucci Musicman with the D-Sonic.

The Mesa cabs are loaded with V-30's which I THOUGHT where the choice of a lot of guys are the ARE focused in the midrange? - I like the tone from them. My understanding of them (V30's) is they are actually rolled off in the lows and raised a little in the mids, compared to an old Marshall 1960 cab i previuosly used with GT-1275's which was mid scooped and had had heaps of presence.

i have always thought, that triaxis is the "midrangest" preamp on our side of horizon. really. you should compare it to, say, a Recto amp side by side. just set the two up with knobs at noon and see for yourself. i even get an impression sometimes, that after playing a recto, triaxis sound like there's a wah pedal cocked halfways

Well funny enough thats what I did! I had my rig on one Mesa cab and a Mesa Roadster head on another Mesa cab and I A/B'd between the two. It was after using the Roadster at a gig that I realised what I was missing in the Triaxis setup and so I tried to replicate the midrange from the Roadster with my TC Electronic G-major. Though most wouldn't agree the Triaxis needs 750Hz boosted, I definatley think it lacks low-mids around 250HZ

I don't know, I'm using all the right gear but my ears are telling me something else sometimes. Several years ago I used a Peavey Ultra valve head and although it wasn't as a sophisticated type of sound compared to the Boogie, it had just had a raw organic sound that just cooked and was a synch to dial in a good tone. I went with the Triaxis in the end for diversity

Another thing to try is tube substitions. Amazing the difference that tubes have on the tone. With Humbucking pickups I felt the Triaxis to be too heavy in the low mid/ bass range. I could never thin it out to let the treble through. A journey into different makes/ type of tubes has gotten me to a very happy place. Just be careful you don't lose your shirt - some are very expensive.

Thanks guys. After much consideration (and noodling) I have decided to sell the Triaxis/2:90 setup and I m going to a Roadster head. Im tired off tweaking and not actually playing and need a change in the tone department anyways.

mribanezmetal said:
Though most wouldn't agree the Triaxis needs 750Hz boosted, I definatley think it lacks low-mids around 250HZ

I

oh. i have probably misunderstood you. do you say that Triaxis lacks a bit in a mid to low region, like mids bordering on lows? if so, then yes, i have to agree on that. that's why les paul is my guiatr of choice with the Tri - it has bigger bass and fatter low midrange then my other guitars.

I completely agree that the Triaxis acts differently depending on the guitar. I'm sure this goes with every amp out there though. I'm curious to know what guitars the Triaxis Lover's are using? Obviously compared to the guitars that aren't giving the Triaxis a good sound.

i use three guitars - gibson lp, ibanez rgt220, and an emg equipped fender strat. well, the good news, imo, are that the triaxis is not in a situation when some guiatr "makes" it sound bad. i'd rather say, that it is transparent enough to let each instrument's character though. at this point you sort of decide for yourself if the sound fits what you're playing. i mainly play the lp because we are a sort of alternative metal band, and that calls for certain thick "nu-metalish" tones.

however, i recorded with an avantgarde / hip-hop / noise project that needed something less "huge" sounding, so i went with the ibby and it worked better then the lp - i had to play a lot cleaner, less bass, be generally more "compact" in a mix.

Back