Triaxis freezing and other patch changing voodoo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scoot_001

Reaction score
My (un)trusty triaxis - second hand and gigged with it for the first time recently. After turning it on it froze a few times but then came good. I Got 3 songs into the second set and it froze. I could still play through it but the front panel was completely unresponsive to anything as was changing via midi. Power off / on did nothing. Reseated all cables - no good. (luck my Marshall was handy .... )

I have read about re-seating the cables and have done this once. Has anyone ever seen other types of causes for this issue ?

My cabling setup;

Guitar into Triaxis input.
Triaxis FX loop out --> Roland GP 8 --> Triaxis FX return
Triaxis out --> Power Amp.

I use my GP-8 with an FC100 foot controller to do patch selection.
Most of the
time this works but occasionally it does strange things.

I have also tries my Roland GT-8 with the same results and also had it hooked up
to my Triaxis Editor but alas - no difference. The common component in all of
these tests was the Amp!

The other bizarre thing I've experienced (and tested as above) is that sometimes
it will only change to odd numbered patches ...

For example - If I choose patch 1 on my midi controller (any one of GP-8, GT-8,
or Triaxis Editor) - the tri changes to patch 1
Patch 2 - Tri changes to patch 1.
Patch 4 - Tri changes to patch 3
Patch 3 - Tri changes to patch 3
and so on ...

I really want to love this thing - but it's pretty hard to at the moment ... my trusty old Marshall is sitting in the corner with a very smug smile :twisted:

Thanks, Peter

I'm relatively new to the board. I bought a very old Triaxis off e-bay a while back. After a few months, the unit went haywire locking me out of any patch changes. My FX loop setup is similar to what you describe. Frantic, I pulled the unit from my rack and checked this particular board for help. After scrolling for sometime, I found someone with a similar issue. What I ended up doing (it worked wonderfully) was to pop the top off and carefully pull the power ribbons which operate all the L.E.D.s on the face plate. Using contact cleaner, I carefully cleaned all the contact points where the ribbons met their counter parts with a soft Q-tip making sure to not leave residue. I checked the unit and it worked perfectly. This is now going on a year and a half ago. I hope this helps. It seems the contacts had fouled up due to age, humidity, etc.

I have pulled apart and removed and replaced all of the ribon cables however, I stopped at punlling the main board out so that I could get to the ribbon connecting the front panel. After your advice - I might give it a go .. Thanks

BTW - what is a sift Q-Tip ??

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry... "soft" Q-tips (cotton swabs) not "sift". Also, I only popped the ribbon cables (2) that fed the units LEDs only and cleaned them as well as where they plugged in to. I did not touch or remove anything else. My unit still works like new after I did this.

Latest posts

Back