Triaxis battery life?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegold

Reaction score
I bought my Triaxis in 1993.
It's holding its program memory just fine, but I figure that the battery's got to be towards the end of its life.
Anybody know what the life expectancy is supposed to be on these things?

I saw in another thread here
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=8868&highlight=triaxis+battery
that the battery sits under the big rectangular sheet metal box.
Assuming that that is correct, then how do you get in there to change it?
It looks like sheet metal box is held in there with a pair of nuts and bolts. But I don't have a nut driver small enough to get at the nuts, and my needle nose pliers can't get in there either.

remove the top, you will need to remove the pcb on the left(front facing you), to remove this pcb disconnect the three wiring harnesses and then, with the use of some needle nose pliers compress the tabs of the white board anchors and with slight upward pressure lift the board up and out. Now unscrew the four screws holding the metal cover to the chassis and lift cover. The battery is now visible, with slight upward pressure lift the battery out of the terminal and then replace with new battery. reverse procedure.

Here's a pic. of the battery:

triaxisbattery.jpg

So, you need to remove the PCB board because it covers two of the 4 nuts/bolts that holds in place the metal box that covers the CPU and battery, right?

Hmm. Well even if I mustered up the guts to take out the PCB board, I've already tried using some pliers to unscrew the two nuts that *are* exposed, and couldn't budge them.

I guess I'll take it to a local tech.

Thanks.

Y'now, what? Your picture doesn't show the 4 bolts that mine has. Yours looks like 4 screw holes rather than 4 bolts. I.e. If I removed the 4 nuts from my 4 bolts and took a picture like yours, the 4 bolts would still be visible, coming up from the other side of the circuit board. If they were screws, rather than these little nuts that I can't grab, I could probably do this myself.

My TA is a pretty early one. Serial # is something like T109, I think. It was a Version 1 when I bought it but I had it upgrded to Version 2 a few years later. Maybe they used bolts instead of screws back then for the CPU cover.

but when I remove the old battery I will lost all my presets even if I change them very quick ?
thanks

18&Life said:
but when I remove the old battery I will lost all my presets even if I change them very quick ?
thanks

Just call mesa boogie. I answered just because it's a good question,i figure that you need to let it connected to the wall...

soundpurist said:
18&Life said:
thanks

Just call mesa boogie. I answered just because it's a good question,i figure that you need to let it connected to the wall...

You should not leave it plugged, let alone turned on, in while working on it. That's pretty unsafe and not worth saving your presets.

Greg

You should not leave it plugged, let alone turned on, in while working on it. That's pretty unsafe and not worth saving your presets.

Greg[/quote]

Do you mean -turned off- instead turned on right ?

I think this is very basic, but forgive me if I did not understand the posts,
however, you should never work on anything either turned 'on' or 'off' "plugged in".

Some units can hold voltage long after they are "unplugged".
If you're not sure, take it to a tech. It's really not worth the damage that can happen to you or your equipment.

18&Life said:

Greg

Do you mean -turned off- instead turned on right ?[/quote]

No, reread what i wrote. I said you should NOT leave it plugged and turned on.

Greg

joegold said:
It's holding its program memory just fine, but I figure that the battery's got to be towards the end of its life.

I saw in another thread here
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=8868&highlight=triaxis+battery
that the battery sits under the big rectangular sheet metal box.
Assuming that that is correct, then how do you get in there to change it?
It looks like sheet metal box is held in there with a pair of nuts and bolts. But I don't have a nut driver small enough to get at the nuts, and my needle nose pliers can't get in there either.

Let me know how you did it and if it worked.Thanks

joegold said:
I also got my Triaxis in '93. Two years ago, I took it to Mesa for a bit of work, and they checked the battery while in there. They said it was still going strong, and that there was no need to change it. I was a bit surprised that it was still strong, but they should know!

Definitely back up your memory to retain presets if you are going to go ahead and change out the battery - your data will be lost as the battery is removed.

- Thom

Latest posts

Back