Triaxis advice

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyAlderson

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm looking to buy a Triaxis and would appreciate some advice from the experts! The main sound I want is the rectifier tone but I play alsorts of stuff and need more versatility that a Recto head. I especially like the MIDI control features.

How well does it do the Recto tone? What mods are best?

I'll probably be using 2 2x12 3/4 back cabs with the 20/20 amp.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Andy

AndyAlderson said:
The main sound I want is the rectifier tone
A big part of that tone is the power amp so you're going to need something like a 2:90 in Modern mode to nail it.

The original Recto board WITHOUT the Fat Mod does this sound best, that's what you should look for.

Personally I don't think the Triaxis really "NAILS" what is thought of as the the "recto tone", in that it is the vintage lead recto tone (Not the Modern) that some of those production models have.
If you think your getting Modern recto tone its not going to be that. That does not mean there is not some great big tones there but just possibly not quite what some might be thinking it is.

Now that's not the end of the world for me because it does so many other things so well.
So if you need dead nuts Recto tone then get a recto, but...
The LD2 yellow Mark II and LD2 Red Mark III Tones are so huge and aggressive in their own right they can lay the down the thunder and lightning on their own.
You got 8 great very distinct channels at your disposal all on midi
I love the cleans also on the two Rhy circuits

If you want a Triaxis I think you should definitely get a 2:90 with the switching jacks for half power modern and deep functions as they add allot of versatility to the package. And as noted above can get you closer to that sound if that's what your looking for.

Rhythm 1 & 2:Circuits Cleans to borderline break up tone
Green: Vintage Fat Rhythm, is the more vintage sounding “old Black Face Fender roots” Style circuit
Yellow: Modern Bright Rhythm, roots from Mark IV,III, IIC+, tighter more urgent clean

Lead 1:Circuits Light/Medium to heavy gain tones
Green: Vintage Mark I lead
Yellow: High gain /Fat Mark I Lead
Red: Recto Vintage lead (aka Trem-o-verb/Recto orange channel)

Lead 2:Circuts Medium to Way High gain
Green: Midgain / Mark IV Lead
Yellow: Classic Mark II Lead
Red: Searing Mark III Lead

Agreed!! So many textures and tones to get from the modes of preamps in the triaxis, they are all good in their own right. One post I read somewhere was the sound of the Triaxis all sounded alike, to a certain degree, I suppose there is a truth to it, in subjective terms. Once you start experimenting with the GAIN and LEAD DRIVE (1&2) settings, then the tones certainly opens up, then add the 290 voicings, then the fun begins.

Some folks might breed "too much analysis breeds paralysis", true, sometimes too many options becomes overwhelming. The journey is often more fun than the destination in itself.

I have a Tri/290/G force setup, and I am loving it....ok....i admit, except the weight of the entire thing! :twisted:

Thanks everyone, especially for the advice on the 2:90. looks like that's the power amp I should go for.

Has it been disscontinued?

AndyAlderson said:
Thanks everyone, especially for the advice on the 2:90. looks like that's the power amp I should go for.

2:90 is still available on their web site:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Stereo_Power/Simul_2_Ninety/simul_2_ninety.html

I would look for a clean used Triaxis and 2:90 if I were you
Do a Google search on: which version of Triaxis so you know what you are buying.
I would probably stick to the version 2.0 with continuous control software

AndyAlderson said:
I'm looking to buy a Triaxis and would appreciate some advice from the experts! The main sound I want is the rectifier tone but I play alsorts of stuff and need more versatility that a Recto head. I especially like the MIDI control features.

How well does it do the Recto tone? What mods are best?

I wonder what kind of music your gonna play with it?

Ill try to explain my experience with the tri:
Like you Im coming from a rectifier sound. tough it was the best sound in the world. and I wanted to switch for a tri for the midi implementation and have some versatility. I tought I get the rectifier sound and 7 other sound at the same time. How can I be wrong. well I was, but i'm glad I was... I think LD1 red doesn't sound really good not even close to my triple rectifier. If that was the only sound on the tri I would be really pissed. but its not. I fell in love with LD2 especially red. Im play death/heavy/prog-Metal. This sound is so aggressive I think it can actually kill people! even-though I still have my rectifier, I never play it I just cant stop playing LD2. and when I feel like playing softer things pink Floyd, ac/dc, Stevie Ray, etc.. I use lead 1 green or yellow. it nails those sound much better then the rectifier.

my advice to you is: Don't buy it for the rectifier sound. Buy it for all the other modes... :)

It is amazing to me that this piece of gear has been in production now since 1990...
Now think about it if the Triaxis had never existed and Mesa rolled this thing out at NAMM next year for the first time people would still be doing backflips over what it does.
They were way ahead of the curve with this piece of equipment and what it does.

Here's another instance wherein Triaxis' flexibility came into play. I've personally loved Fender amps, especially my blues deluxe reissue. I just had rearranged my rack and split the triaxis and 290 to be in separate cases. Just to manage the weight. Instead of having all the rack items in one 6-space rack unit, i separated the 290 to a 2-space rack case.

Then I experimented with using the only the power amp section of the fender blues deluxe. Fed the triaxis output to the power amp input on the fender's loop, and viola! I got the fender power amp section, including sag, tone, power amp feel, PLUS, the high gain sounds of the triaxis! I got the best of both worlds and I'm pretty excited about it. Lessens the equipment I have to bring during gigs.

So, now I've developed more tonal options as when the "need" or "whim" arises. Got the option of using the 290 OR a power amp section of a fender amp. That's a pretty significant tonal option/bonus.

Thought I'd share this experience regarding the Triaxis' flexibility in making your decision whether the triaxis is for you or not.

When I first got my triaxis, I played it for about 3 years through my Roland JC-77. I loved that sound. The JC-77 was a little too underpowered to play with a drummer though. I've got some recordings from some jam sessions and, man, was it straining.

I eventually got a 2:90 and had no more problems with power. But I also really struggled with my sound. My speakers were totally wrong. Using the JC-77, I had gotten used to the sound of the open-back 2x10" combo. When I got the 2:90, I switched to two 1x12 closed back enclosures with Peavey speakers. It sounded pretty good for the chugga-chugga, but really didn't sound very good clean or with the LD1 Green and LD1 Yellow sounds. I always found myself yearning for the Triaxis/JC-77 sound.

Then I got better speakers for the 1x12's. And sometimes I allowed myself to play the 2:90 through an open-back cab when the mood struck me. Better speakers and freedom to use different types of cabs....much better all around.

I always thought that I was a total loser for playing my Triaxis through a combo amp. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one to do it that way.

Chip

I have a modified ( EL 34's,hi gain altered tone stack in channel 1/think Marshal and Low gain 12AY7 in channel 2) Silver Face Master volume TwinReverb that I have pre-amped with my Triaxis for years and love the combination Dearly. It will give me vibes from swampy blues to Hi gain Fusion and everything in between.

dbone said:
AndyAlderson said:

2:90 is still available on their web site:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Stereo_Power/Simul_2_Ninety/simul_2_ninety.html

I would look for a clean used Triaxis and 2:90 if I were you
Do a Google search on: which version of Triaxis so you know what you are buying.
I would probably stick to the version 2.0 with continuous control software

Hi.

I'm not sure if being on their website is proof it's still available because i've looked into buying the rectifier recording preamp (which is on their website too) and been told buy a dealer that it's discontinued. At least it is here in the UK, not sure if it's the same in the USA. I'll go back and ask about the 2:90 soon.

Thanks for everyone's advice, looks like Triaxis is the way to go!

Give them a call, they're pretty nice, no moat or around the place. I drop by there when ever I need service or a T-shirt its a hour from my house.
Mesa Boogie
# We are open 9:00am-5:00 pm Pacific Time,
Monday through Thursday.

# Phone: 707-778-6565
Fax: 707-765-1503

# Mesa/Boogie,
1317 Ross St.
Petaluma, California
94954 USA

dbone said:
It is amazing to me that this piece of gear has been in production now since 1990...
Now think about it if the Triaxis had never existed and Mesa rolled this thing out at NAMM next year for the first time people would still be doing backflips over what it does.
They were way ahead of the curve with this piece of equipment and what it does.

PERFECTLY said!!!!!

Latest posts

Back