TriAxis/2:90 playthrough

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
So my pops almost turned our living room into a studio and the last thing missing was an instrument mic - after listening to countless clips the good ol' SM57 still sounded best to me.

Anyway, to test it we slammed it in front of my cab and I just doodled around with my TriAxis (did the same with my Marshall for the JVM forum and it turned out quite nice). I didn't invest a lot of time into placing the mic, it was all done in a hasty kind of manner but to me it sounds pretty good.

Sounds:
MKIV clean(+chorus) - 0:00 to 0:48, 0:48 to 1:32
MKIV clean different settings - 1:40 to 2:06
MKI pushed crunch - 2:08 to 2:47
MKIV crunch - 2:50 to 3:33
MKIV crunch different (higher gain) settings - 3:33 to 4:20
MKIIC+ - 4:27 to 7:00
MKIV - 7:03 to 8:08
Rectifier - 8:08 to end

Sloppy playing in some part :oops:

Signal chain:
Homemade maple/maple/rosewood Explorer w/EMG60(n) EMG81(b)->TriAxis/2:90->Marshall 1960A w/V30s->SM57->AVID Mbox Pro->ProTools 8LE->your speakers->your ears

Tubes in 2:90 are =C= 6L6 and TungSol 12AX7 (PI), JJ ECC83s (driver)
TriAxis is 5xSovtek 12AX7WA (yeah, yeah, I know, I'll get to tube rolling soon).

No post processing in ProTools.

YouTube link (720p for better sound)

Opinions appreciated!

Sounds nice and gnarly. For YouTube videos, I rarely care about mic placement too, just kinda point and shoot where I think it'll sound good. The patch you hit at the 8 minute mark is nice! Is yours a phat mod?

Thanks man! :D

I did the old "earplug and move your head" trick and placed the mic where it sounded ok. I was afraid YT would compress the **** out of it, but if you set it to 720p the difference between it and the ProTools recording (before Bouncing to disk) is barely noticeable.

Nope, mine is version 2.0, no fat mod, with the Recto board. It's pretty old, the s/n is about 2300-2400.
That's Lead 1 Red, with settings
Gain 6
Treble 7
Mid 5
Bass 7
Lead 1 Drive 6
Master 5
Presence 5
DV 0
2:90 Deep&Modern engaged

Jackie said:
So my pops almost turned our living room into a studio and the last thing missing was an instrument mic - after listening to countless clips the good ol' SM57 still sounded best to me.

Anyway, to test it we slammed it in front of my cab and I just doodled around with my TriAxis (did the same with my Marshall for the JVM forum and it turned out quite nice). I didn't invest a lot of time into placing the mic, it was all done in a hasty kind of manner but to me it sounds pretty good.

Sounds:

Sloppy playing in some part :oops:

Signal chain:
Homemade maple/maple/rosewood Explorer w/EMG60(n) EMG81(b)->TriAxis/2:90->Marshall 1960A w/V30s->SM57->AVID Mbox Pro->ProTools 8LE->your speakers->your ears

Tubes in 2:90 are =C= 6L6 and TungSol 12AX7 (PI), JJ ECC83s (driver)
TriAxis is 5xSovtek 12AX7WA (yeah, yeah, I know, I'll get to tube rolling soon).

No post processing in ProTools.

YouTube link (720p for better sound)

Opinions appreciated!

Hey thanks, I love your work. Good playing and thank you for not doing any signal processing.

Well worth listening to the end, it gets hotter as it goes folks.

Just once thing you've said:
Sounds:

But for some of them it isn't clear exactly, to me at least, which Triaxis mode you're using, for instance the 3rd one, "MK1 pushed crunch" could be Rhythm Green or Ld1Green? If you get a moment can you please write down exactly which Triaxis mode was used (and if you've got more time maybe the exact settings).

But WOW - you've gone from ultra clean to recto-filth it's a great post. And the Triaxis is a great preamp.

Cheers.

PS. I'll post as much of my reply on youtube as I can (only 500 chars...)

Thanks for watching and glad you liked it :D

Sure I'll break it down.

The modes:
Cleans were both Rhythm Orange. Chorus and Reverb supplied by BOSS GT-6 in the loop.

The first crunch tone was a factory preset called "Vintage Amp Cranked" in the manual and it's the Rhythm Green mode with high EQ and Gain settings.

MKIV Crunch is Lead 2 Green with lower gain settings.

The other MKIV Crunch is the same preset but I have programmed the continuous control to change settings on the fly, you can hear that in the video. I could have taken another 5 minutes to fool around with that preset to show how many nuances that mode can deliver along with CC, and that's just changing Gain, Lead Drive and setting DV from 1.0 to 2.0.

MKIIC+ is of course the beloved Lead 2 Orange mode.

MKIV is Lead 2 Green again but with more gain than the previous 2 sounds.

Rectifier is Lead 1 Red.

I'll edit the YouTube description, thanks for pointing it out.

Settings (in order of appearance):
Rhythm Orange
Gain 5
Treble 5.5
Mid 3
Bass 1
Lead 1 Drive 0
Lead 2 Drive 0
Master 6
Presence 5
DV 1

Deep/Half drive/Modern = off/off/off
Neck PU

Rhythm Orange
Gain 5
Treble 6
Mid 4
Bass 2
Lead 1 Drive 0
Lead 2 Drive 0
Master 5
Presence 6
DV 0

Deep/Half drive/Modern = off/off/off
Neck+bridge PU I think

Rhythm Green
Gain 10
Treble 9
Mid 10
Bass 1
Lead 1 Drive 0
Lead 2 Drive 0
Master 5
Presence 4.5
DV 0

Deep/Half drive/Modern = off/ON/off (though half drive is not engaged in this particular clip)
All tones from now on including this one are with bridge PU, except the little lead with MKIIC+, that's neck.

Lead 2 Green (pre-CC)
Gain 5
Treble 5.5
Mid 6
Bass 5
Lead 1 Drive 0
Lead 2 Drive 2.0
Master 5
Presence 5.5
DV 1

After CC (pedal fully floored)
Gain 6
Treble 5
Mid 6
Bass 5
Lead 1 Drive 0
Lead 2 Drive 6.5
Master 5
Presence 5.5
DV 2

Deep/Half drive/Modern = off/off/on

Lead 2 Orange
Gain 8
Treble 6.5
Mid 5
Bass 3 (now I have it on 2)
Lead 1 Drive 0
Lead 2 Drive 8
Master 4
Presence 6.5
DV 7.5

Deep/Half drive/Modern = ON/on/off

Lead 2 Green
Gain 8
Treble 7.5
Mid 4.5
Bass 3 (now on 2)
Lead 1 Drive 0
Lead 2 Drive 7
Master 4
Presence 6.5
DV 7.0

Deep/Half drive/Modern = ON/on/off

Lead 1 Red posted in previous post though I found that tone to be a little too unnatural so I now have
Gain 6
Treble 6.5
Mid 5
Bass 6.5
Lead 1 Drive 5.5
Lead 2 Drive 0
Master 5.5
Presence 5
DV 5

Deep/Half drive/Modern = ON/on/ON

Jackie said:
Thanks for watching and glad you liked it :D

Sure I'll break it down.
Rhythm Green
Gain 10
Treble 9
Mid 10
Bass 1
Lead 1 Drive 0
Lead 2 Drive 0
Master 5
Presence 4.5
DV 0

Hey man - thanks a million, u da best :)

Now that 3rd sound from 2:08 to 2:47 "Mk1 pushed crunch" is something I've been trying to get forever - no wonder I didn't get it - I would never have put both Gain and Mid on 10! (then again I'm kicking myself the manual says to try something like that. Duh!)

I also didn't realise you had a bit of chorus and reverb - I must re-listen - but it was so light it still let the MB shine. And that's where I reckon a heap of rack guys go astray (and I've certainly done it too) - way way too much FX.

Cheers.

A_Ryder said:
Now that 3rd sound from 2:08 to 2:47 "Mk1 pushed crunch" is something I've been trying to get forever - no wonder I didn't get it - I would never have put both Gain and Mid on 10! (then again I'm kicking myself the manual says to try something like that. Duh!)

It's actually a factory preset (I think it's #9) so it's on the TriAxis from the factory, so you basically didn't even have to read the manual, just scroll through the stock presets :mrgreen:

Thanks JCDenton6, GAS is a ***** ain't it :D

Jackie said:
A_Ryder said:

It's actually a factory preset (I think it's #9) so it's on the TriAxis from the factory, so you basically didn't even have to read the manual, just scroll through the stock presets :mrgreen:

Thanks JCDenton6, GAS is a ***** ain't it :D

Yeah, I actually I did have it my "top 10" patches but somehow it just sounded so much better when you played it, I am not use to playing that sound but I love to hear it. And want to get into it more.

Some of my pickups just blows it away and make it too dirty, no more edge of break up, it's just broken. Another set of pickups just doesn't push it far enough ... if I use the volume dial I can jar barely juggle it ...

Cheers.

A_Ryder said:
Some of my pickups just blows it away and make it too dirty, no more edge of break up, it's just broken. Another set of pickups just doesn't push it far enough ... if I use the volume dial I can jar barely juggle it ...

The funny part is that I used a maple guitar loaded with EMG81 (b)+ EMG60 (n) :lol:

Latest posts

Back