Here's a bunch of Triaxis sounds

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desertdweller

Reaction score
There are always a lot of questions about expensive gear you can't get in stores, so I figured I'd post some clips from my recent recording here using the Triaxis.

My rig is a pretty simple Triaxis/G-Force/2:90 rig. In the studio, we only really used the G-Force for a gate, so the majority of the tones on this clip are what you get with a straight-up Triaxis/2:90 setup. There's no overdrive or compressor up front either.

For tubes, the Triaxis has a Tungsol in V1, JJs in the remaining slots, and the 2:90 has stock Mesa 6L6 STR 440s. Deep and Modern are always on. The cab is a Mesa 4x12 oversized cab. For mics we're using a beta 57 and a Royer ribbon mic. The royer has a sweet mid cut to it and the 57 has strong punchy mids, so we blended them to taste for each song.

Here's the mp3:
http://www.vincelupone.com/gtrtest/theasylum_guitartestclips.mp3

Here's a rundown of what you're hearing and what modes we're using:

0:00-0:42 - Without You
Here you're hearing Lead 1 Green (Mark I clean) as the clean tone guitars. Blended in there's a light chugging 8th note thing going on using Lead 2 Yellow (Mark II hi-gain). When the clean part ends, the rhythm, lead, and harmony guitars are all using Lead 2 Yellow. What a great sound.

0:42-1:15 - Are We Dreaming
We used Lead 2 Red for all the heavy rhythm guitars on the disc. Here there are some octave harmonies and some nice low-end chunk.

1:15-1:47 Circles
Here's why I bought the Triaxis in the first place. Lead 2 red dialed in is just an incredible heavy metal sound. Here it is full blast. All the Lead 2 modes sound great, and we tried all three in the studio, but none had the aggression and tightness of Lead 2 Red.

1:47-2:20 Circles (clean section)
Here we used Rhythm Green, the cleanest sound on the Triaxis for the background clean guitars, and the clean lead guitar is in Lead 1 Yellow (Mark I pushed). It's my favorite clean lead sound by far and I think the two sounds worked really well together.

2:20-3:12 Solitude
Here's a little of our guitar solos. Our other guitarist Adam takes the lead first, then I have the second solo. There's still 2 more to go in the song and a duet too that I'm leaving out. Once again we're using Lead 2 Red for rhythm guitar, and Lead 2 Yellow for the lead guitars.

3:12-3:33 Burning Fire
Here's a blend of the Triaxis tones stacked. All the tones here are lead 2 red, and but the harmony guitars have the mids boosted a little, while the backing guitars have the mids cut. It blends well with the bass and vocals in the section.

3:33-end Soulless
I'm ending this clip medley with a guitar solo here over a triplet feel. Once again the rhythm guitars are Lead 2 red, the lead guitar is lead 2 Yellow.

ta_rigmiked.jpg

Dude those all sounded epic! Thanks for sharing! Love the dynamics of your band too, great combo of very nice acoustic calm stuff to rip-your-head-off aggression :twisted:

Great sounds, and great songs!
What DV setting do you generally use on the Lead 2 main drive sounds? This is the control that gives me the hardest time, I find that it is always too little or too much.

I'm a big old-school metallica fan, and all the pics I see of hetfield's old mark II heads have the 5-band set up with a pretty wild V.

So for the DV, I usually have it set pretty high. On my main rhythm sound for example, treble is at 6, mids at 0, bass at 0, presence about 4, and the DV is at 9. I also set the gain at 9 and then mix in the lead 2 drive to taste, usually at about 6 or so.

Live and the studio are slightly different though, I like more bass in my sound live, but in the studio any more bass and it's flubby, esp when using deep on the power amp. so live I'll put the bass up at 2 or so, or I'll switch to the Mark IV sound on the Triaxis, which isn't as tight as the Lead 2 Red sound, but it's got a HUGE low end to it that thumps like crazy live.

Nice work man! I love hearing what other people can do with the same gear, it makes me want to go play and make some new patches!

-dave

Love the songs DesertDweller. I love my Triaxis set up and I'm really impressed with the sound that you have going on there. Your rhythm settings sounded like they had a 8+ DV setting, but I'm curious as to what setting you had your mids at for your solo tone or is it the same setting as your rhythm tone?

MesaGod666 said:
Love the songs DesertDweller. I love my Triaxis set up and I'm really impressed with the sound that you have going on there. Your rhythm settings sounded like they had a 8+ DV setting, but I'm curious as to what setting you had your mids at for your solo tone or is it the same setting as your rhythm tone?

I'm a big fan of using the DV in lieu of an external EQ. I'm just a big fan of how Mesa makes their amps. Both my rhythm and lead sounds I use live and in the studio are free of external eq in my rig. Of course the studio producer did some eq and compression in post, but it's mainly just tweaking and getting rid of lower midrange that doesn't sound good on a recording but slays in a live rig.

For my rhythm sounds I used Lead 2 red, and for leads I used Lead 2 yellow. L2Y just has a really awesome feel for leads. It's not as tight and "shreddy" and has more give to it IMO. I boost the mids, lows, and gain on my lead sound as well and the DV is about 8 or 9 for that as well.

I love the DV on the Triaxis.

when I click on the link i get : 404 Not FoundThe requested URL was not found on this server.

Latest posts

Back