Tremsetter

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobSwanson

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I decided years ago that Strats were not my thing (after buying and selling 2 of them) and have stuck to LPS and Teles ever since.

Having said that there are certain sounds that only come from a
Strat and apprarently disregarding my above statement I bought
a Mexican Strat for $300.
To make matters even worse its a HSS strat with a Floyd.

I like this guitar and quite a bit but inspite of the supposed stability
of a locking tremolo - tuning is still an issue.

So my question after all that blather is do any of you have
experience with the Hipshot Tremsetter - in conjunction with a
Floyd Rose Tremolo. Would it be of any value/help???

Thanks.

I've got a floyd rose strat that stays in tune pretty good, its just the occasional agressive double-stop bend that one note will sound out of tune. I've got a tremolo-no installed but i'm going to remove it and just block the tremolo so its down only, then you can add a little tension to the springs and it will be more stable.

I have a Tremsetter in my American Strat and it works very well. However, I tried one in my Floyd Rose equipped Jackson, and it didn't work. Using four springs instead of three in this guitar works a heck of a lot better than the Tremsetter.

I just threw a Tremol-No in my FR equipped Hellraiser and it really lives up to the hype. Super easy to install, no drilling, and when locked up, the guitar behaves just like a hardtail. Dive only mode is awesome, if you break a string you stay in tune! Of course the full-floating option is still there.

http://www.tremol-no.com/

Check out the demo video as well as the install video.

I ordered a Tremsetter as well, and the next day I found the Tremol-No.
No prob, my buddy bought the Tremsetter from me for $30 for an old Peavey Nitro he has.

Dom

That's 2 for the Trmol-No.
I watched the Vid- looks like just what I need.

Now my only problem is which one??????
The webpage is unclear as to which one is suitable
for the Floyd on an HSS Strat.
Do I need the clamp model or the pin model????

Thanks for the info guys

BobSwanson said:

Thanks for the info guys

Shoot them an e-mail to: [email protected]

I'm sure they will let you know which one.

Dom

BobSwanson said:

Thanks for the info guys

I have the pin model on my strat...but its tough to get the pin in the hole for the spring end. if i had the time to block my trem properly i'd sell mine to you real cheap...i only bought it to use a d-tuna on the strat.

well, the tremsetter, and the tremel-no, are two different products.

if you want full float, but 'better' tuning stability, go with the tremsetter.

i have one in my custom strat, which is a 2-post un-locked bridge by hipshot.

it works as advertised.

now, people like steve vai, have installed 2 tremsetters (or a version of) in their floyd rose setups, so that's something else to possibly investigate.

if you have a double locking floyd and you're not staying in tune:

1) there's something wrong with the bridge system and/or guitar.

or...

2) you're not properly stretching your strings before you lock them down.

my floyd playing days are long gone but there was a time where ALL my guitars had them, and if there's one thing i can say for them is they stay in tune better than ANYTHING. period.

i DID have a trem setter and absolutely hated it because i didn't like what it did to the feel of the trem. imagine feeling a bump every time you go past the trem's resting point as you bring the bar up and down. even worse- you could hear it too. i immediately took it out of my strat. so i would forget about a trem setter and instead try to remedy WHY the floyd won't stay in tune. if you want stability and don't use the bar, put a wooden block in it like clapton.

Great info gentlemen.

I bought this guitar on a whim coz the price was right.
The more I play it the more stable the tuning becomes
so "stretching the strings" properly is probably part of the problem.
But after working the bar fairly aggressively I start to notice things
being a little more out than before using the bar (really evident in chords).

The guitar is well intonated and tunes up well so my assumption
was she was not returning to the same "Zero" point every time.
Thus - I find myself looking at hardware to assure repeatability.

I play LP's and Teles so this thing is really out of my wheelhouse
but the Floyd is too big of an integral part of this guitar to be ignored.
And the sonic potential - even for me - is PFK (Pretty Fukken Kewl).

So I will keep messin with it till I get it here.
Thanks for the insights - keep em comin if ya got any more.

The tremsetter is only opart of the equation. I don't think there's anything out there that can possibly get you back to zero every single time. It's impossible to completely eliminate all the friction, and that's what causes the problems.

I've used a hipshot tremsetter on my 1989 strat plus since - well - 1989. It has actually gotten better with age, but it took a lot of tweaking to get it right, and it does require periodic adjustment. I use it to "float" the strings. I'm not into severa dn aggressive dive bombing, but I do use the bar quite a lot for chordal and solo work. You also have to make sure your nut's in good shape as well as the saddles. Graphite or chapstick (if you can deal with the mess) work well as lubricants if used sparingly.

FWIW, I also have a 99 Am.Dlxe, and that thing doesn't have the tremsetter, but stays in tune incredibly well.

Oh - and yes - stretching the strings properly is critical. Something else that seems to work in a pinch is to just kind of give the bar a nudge if you're a little out of tune - sometimes it seems to reset itself if you do that.

plumptone said:
Something else that seems to work in a pinch is to just kind of give the bar a nudge if you're a little out of tune - sometimes it seems to reset itself if you do that.

+1
I've noticed this.....

the ibanez ZR bridge system, is an improvement on the floyd thing, IMHO

Latest posts

Back