Tremoverb vs Dual Rectifier Tone Q

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingston11

Reaction score
Hello! New guy here.

I wanted to ask what tonal differences do the dual rec Tremoverbs have compared to the dual rectifier 2 channels.

Im looking for that 311 high gain sound.... so if a tremoverb can achieve that, let me know. Thanks.

Stephen is right, the Tremoverb has way better cleans. The Reverb is nice too.

I think you can definitely achieve the tones you are looking for. Mine is a combo with Vintage 30's, so it sounds a bit bright for me, but the head, or a combo with different speakers can get heavier than most people want to go! I tried a pair of Weber California speakers in mine and it had some serious thump! These are really great amps!

Mine is a combo with the V30s as well, but I would still describe it as quite a dark amp. The speakers in it are *really* well broken in though, it was used hard at high volume before I got it, and V30s do tend to do that. The cleans on it are really great, although not super clean like a Fender or even the 3-channel models and the Rectoverb... but that's why I like them. It can get really heavy too, but to me it's a looser and less focused/in-your-face sound than the straight Dual Rectifier, even with the reverb off. I would say if you wanted a straight-ahead hard rock/metal tone, the straight Dual is the one to get unless you really need the reverb - it just seems to have a bit more edge and aggression.

94Tremoverb said:
Mine is a combo with the V30s as well, but I would still describe it as quite a dark amp. The speakers in it are *really* well broken in though, it was used hard at high volume before I got it, and V30s do tend to do that. The cleans on it are really great, although not super clean like a Fender or even the 3-channel models and the Rectoverb... but that's why I like them. It can get really heavy too, but to me it's a looser and less focused/in-your-face sound than the straight Dual Rectifier, even with the reverb off. I would say if you wanted a straight-ahead hard rock/metal tone, the straight Dual is the one to get unless you really need the reverb - it just seems to have a bit more edge and aggression.

Hmmm.... dark?.... I dont like dark tones. I would be running it with either a 412 or 212 avatar cab with v30s.
I also dont need the reverb. I have a kick *** BYOC reverb that I modded to sound excellent.
WHen I hear "looser" I think less clarity in chording with moderate gain, too. Is that what you mean? If so, definately not looking for that.
I guess a dual rec will suit me more.

clutch71 said:
As a 311 fan, I feel you'd have no problem getting good 311 tones out of a Tremoverb.

Monsta-Tone said:
Stephen is right, the Tremoverb has way better cleans. The Reverb is nice too.

I think you can definitely achieve the tones you are looking for.

Well, maybe a TOV can suit me then. Im watching one right now on Ebay. Ive been watching a few and many seem to sell for less than a grand, so we'll see.

Thanks everyone! Im liking this board. 8)

No, looser doesn't mean less clarity with chords under moderate gain... if it did I wouldn't like it either, that's one of the big things I need.

I meant it has a more open, deeper/wider sound, a bit less damping on the low end (most noticeable on palm-muted power chords); slightly less of a hard in-your-face punch than the Dual Rectifier. Not a huge difference, but if you're looking for a head not a combo, and don't need the reverb (or the tremolo), and play heavier music then I would get the straight Dual over the Tremoverb. It's also easier to find and cheaper. Not that the Tremoverb won't do the job too, just that the standard Rectifier is probably even better.

stephen sawall said:
The clean channel is a lot better and the sound is darker / smother in all the channels.

Compared to what. the older Dual Rectifiers or the reborn - multi watt???

Best Rectifier tones I have heard are a BFG modded DR or a 2010 or later multi watt DRs.

I get some absolutely great 311 tones from my Tremoverb. I set the gain a bit high, but it sure gets there, alright!

boardn10 said:
stephen sawall said:
The clean channel is a lot better and the sound is darker / smother in all the channels.

Compared to what. the older Dual Rectifiers or the reborn - multi watt???

Best Rectifier tones I have heard are a BFG modded DR or a 2010 or later multi watt DRs.

All of them .... In my ear.

90's Incubus albums are mostly tremoverb, and that tone is in the ballpark of 311. I think you'd be fine with either amp.

I find the tremoverbs more upper mid focused where the 2 channel duals focused more on the lower mids, you can make either amp sound so close that you might not notice. With an EQ in the loop you can make them sound identical.

As to Incubus, Mike's tremoverbs where modded, I think by Mesa but not sure what the mod was.

siggy14 said:
As to Incubus, Mike's tremoverbs where modded, I think by Mesa but not sure what the mod was.

Never heard that info before. I love his tone, though. Can you shed any light on this info? Where'd you hear about it?

Elpelotero said:
siggy14 said:

Never heard that info before. I love his tone, though. Can you shed any light on this info? Where'd you hear about it?

Wish I could, no info on the mods, but just do a search for his name and tremoverb mod and you will see his Tech is part of one of the boards and has stated they are modded, just not how. I have researced and researced but found nothing that says what the mod is.

Latest posts

Back