Tremoverb vs. 3 Ch DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The guy before me had it sent to mesa, had all the LDR's replaced and serviced and gone over. I cant find the receipt, but I can give the S/N and I am sure mesa wil confirm.

I own both a 3 channel DR and a TOV head. The TOV wins hands down on the distortion side. Thicker, creamier, less harshness, easier to dial in.
The clean channel on the 3 channel DR though is slightly better though. Very slightly... The TOV is voiced a little brighter than the 3DR, but the brightness can be dialed out if you want to.
The Tremoverb replaced my 3DR as my main amp.

Supertgtr said:
The clean channel on the 3 channel DR though is slightly better though. Very slightly... The TOV is voiced a little brighter than the 3DR, but the brightness can be dialed out if you want to.

Are you sure about that? Everything I've read has said the opposite. :?

The TOV has the most unique clean sound. I always thought the 3CH DR clean was a bit sterile. I do however own a Roadster as well, and the cleans on it are really good. If you like lone star cleans you'll like the Roadster. The TOV just has it's own character and it's beautiful. I just got mine and I went through the same thing you're going through. I got tired of waiting for a TOV and bought the Roadster. About a month ago I found a TOV in SC and decided to jump on it. Yes, it does live up to it's hype. I didn't know it until I got to SC to pick it up, but I bought this amp from Matt Carter of Emery. He actually talks about it on the Mesa website on an artist video :) . Anyway, you will not regret the wait.

Jonberrier said:
The TOV has the most unique clean sound. I always thought the 3CH DR clean was a bit sterile. I do however own a Roadster as well, and the cleans on it are really good. If you like lone star cleans you'll like the Roadster. The TOV just has it's own character and it's beautiful. I just got mine and I went through the same thing you're going through. I got tired of waiting for a TOV and bought the Roadster. About a month ago I found a TOV in SC and decided to jump on it. Yes, it does live up to it's hype. I didn't know it until I got to SC to pick it up, but I bought this amp from Matt Carter of Emery. He actually talks about it on the Mesa website on an artist video :) . Anyway, you will not regret the wait.

The Roadster does seem cool, hopefully one day I'll be able to afford one. The Tremoverb should cut it though.

Jonberrier said:

That's a cool story... I like Emery a lot.

The Roadster does seem cool, hopefully one day I'll be able to afford one. The Tremoverb should cut it though.
The TOV is the better amp IMO. Since I got it, I haven't touched the Roadster. Roadster is awsome at being 4 amps in one. The TOV just has a sound all it's own.

kmanick said:
How do these Tremoverb combos sound at lower volumes?

Not sure. Never played tthe combo and generally do not like them since they are not as versitle.

That said, my TOV head sounds great at lower volumes and I am not even doing the pull two power tubes trick to half the power.

Are you sure about that? Everything I've read has said the opposite. Confused

Yes, I'm sure of what I hear from my two amps. Sorry it goes against what you have read. The treble is set at about 2 o'clock on the 3ch. DR, and at about 9 o'clock on the TOV to get similar results. Presence set at around 11 o'clock on both.
I find the 3ch DR clean channel takes pedals a bit better than the TOV, especially boost type pedals. But the difference is very subtle.

My TOV was just completely overhauled by Mike B. at boogie. It's an early one, with serial # in the 5000 range. A few of the LDRs were bad, and there were some dud tubes in it. It has now been completely retubed.

The TOV is just a monster! Absolutely love it.

I have a Tremoverb combo, and it has (nearly) completely stopped my amplust. The clean is beautiful, and the only amp I can think of that significantly betters it is the Roland Jazz Chorus but they are one-trick ponies and aren't even in the same league overall. The modern high gain is incredible, especially when pushed up that little extra using the effects loop gain. Vintage I could live without, but it gets close enough to Marshall tone for what I'd ever want out of an amp. Blues mode is interesting, and unique to the TOV - my Keeley Blues Driver pedal through the clean channel gives the ultimate classic warm blues tone, but the TOV Blues channel is unique and worth having for the channel mixing options.

So there's the thing about the TOV - even without all the options on the rear you have four amazing channels that can cover a huge range of tones. Once you start mixing channel voicings you realize there's very little this amp can't do. I have a half dozen overdrive boxes that now sit in the closet now that I have a TOV. Chandler, EH, Tonebone, MXR, don't need 'em.

Low volumes are just fine, but these amps do open up when played at moderate volumes.

Add another voice to the "this amp lives up to the hype" camp. I'll never sell it.

the only thing i wish the TOV had, would be the ability to use more channels than 2 at the same time. But that's always my problem with amps.

It's why I adore the Quad. Then again, I'm selling my Quad because my TOV owns it on every level but the lead sound. I'm getting a Mark IV head to replace the lead sound and i'm set! ;)

I PM's you the shipping qoute twice, but it looks like the PM is stock in my PM outbox, so not sure if your inbox is full or what.

Kiss My Axe said:
siggy14 is offering me his earlier version. He said that it has been repaired and has the attached power cable. Should I go for it? Is there a difference in tone between version 1 and 2?

one of my "gear regrets" in life was the day i sold my '93 T-Verb. i had one of the earlier runs where the amp (combo) featured a shock-absorbing chassis mounting (not sure what mesa officially called this feature) and standard leather covering. i don't know what mesa changed with later releases in their recto series, but they changed something, as i never heard anything better, whether it be a later version tverb, or any other rectifier series amp for that matter. try to find an earlier model with the series effects loop.

Latest posts

Back