Tremoverb tones??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey guys,

I've got a Mesa Tremoverb combo with a Mesa 2x12 cab. I get amazing clean and classic rock-ish tones out of it, but I'm having a lota trouble getting that Dual Recti crunch. It either sounds thin or sounds synthetic. I KNOW im not tweaking the amp right.

Can anyone chime in with their suggestions for settings for that brutal metal tone, and maybe a smooth creamy lead tone too? I know I haven't had the volume up much cuz I live in an apartment (this amp is definitely overkill haha), but I was thinking maybe it would help to lower the volume on my EQ pedal and then jack up the Mesa's volume?

Any advice is greatly appreciated :).

I am not a metal guy, but I did find that by retubing my TOV, I got that DR heavy distortion. I used JJ 6L6's and the high gain preamp tube option from Eurotubes. Also changed the rectifier tubes to GZ34's. It had EL34's in it when I got it, and the 6L6's IMO, produce more of the sound I was looking for. The preamp tubes were just icing on the cake. It cost around $ 180, but was well worth it. As far as getting that sound at low volumes, I think you might need to look into an attenuator.

Good Luck, Mike

What tubes do you have in there now for Preamp and Power?

Tubes play a good part in the overall tone of the amp. I know I tried the 440s (TADs) as I thought the most current power tubes would sound the best, and to be honest I couldnt stand them. I prefer the sound of the 430s (sovteks). Winged Cs (SEDs) are nice but a little out of my price range.

To get a good metal tone roll your gain right back. set all tones to 12:00. Adjust the output to a comfortable level. Then, start raising your Master until you start to get a little breakup, not too much. Then bring in the gain until you get balls but no buzz. Then carefully adjust your tones until you get what you like. I usually have Treble - 1:30ish, Mids - 11:00, Bass - 1-2:00, presence 11:00.

I dont play lead much so cant help you there.

Latest posts

Back