Tremolo spring noise?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machine Gun

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experienced unwanted noise coming from their trem springs? I just got my new PRS custom 22 and I occasionally get an unwanted sound similar to reverb spring noise (like when you bump your amp) but I know its not the reverb. I hear it when I mute a chord. If so, what can you do about it? Can you effectively dampen the springs with something?

Any thoughts or opinions?

I've got 2 JPs and a custom Peavey all with the same issue. I just used a little cotton pad to dampen the spring, but not interfere with the spring's movement. Works like a charm. I was a little surprised my brand new JP's were doing this, but it is the nature of a spring loaded bridge. Haha. On my JP's it was a C note on one and an E on the other that would make the springs resonate. Can't remember what note on the Peavey. In any case, the cotton should fix you up... Let us know...

This has always been one of the biggest differences in sound between a Strat and a Tele, the "mystery reverb". Higher gain settings will make it far more prominent. You can put a couple pieces of self-adhesive weather strip foam on the inside of the tremolo cover near the ends of the springs to dampen them. It will wear so check every now and then. Adding a fourth spring and unscrewing the claw to balance the tension can help, you are tuning all the springs lower and decreasing the length that they stretch. Never tried heat shrink tubing on the coils of the springs but it might work if you get the gauge just right. Too tight would probably make it pretty stiff in play.

Leave the cover off of the rear trem cavity and let your gut dampen the springs as you play! Be careful when not wearing a shirt cause those springs can work like an Epilady and pull the hair off yer belly at the tail end of divebombs! LMAO

i used a couple strips of that flexible foam sheeting stuff that's used as light packaging material, just folded them up and stuck them between the springs.. not like i ever use my trem...

Anyone ever get a thunk from their trem springs while slowly releasing their bar?

This was one of the obvious problems I found in the early MIM strats. The trems sucked bad. I gave up even wanting one as an affordable thrasher back in the early 90's. I ended up picking up a strat that was Floyd loaded and never looked back. There again I gave up on Fenders after that. Shortly after all that I gave up on floating bridges altogether. It wasn't until a couple years ago that I thought about playing one again. I still prefer fixed bridge, fewer moving parts and better tone.

srf399 said:
Leave the cover off of the rear trem cavity and let your gut dampen the springs as you play! Be careful when not wearing a shirt cause those springs can work like an Epilady and pull the hair off yer belly at the tail end of divebombs! LMAO

Now, that was funny!

Seriously though, I've got a CE24 with the same problem. I cut a sock in half and wrapped it around the springs and let the excess fill the cavity. Seems to work pretty good. I've heard the heat shrink thing works pretty good, too. Here's a link to anything you need concerning your PRS:

www.birdsandmoons.com

Back