treble!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb's 52

Reaction score
From page 35 of the manual:

" In fact, the TREBLE feeds the signal to the
MID and BASS controls and acts like a valve
for their signal strength. "

I'm finally getting to understand this and it's all making sense now :D

Any other gems like this in the manual that I may not have grasped
or digested yet? Keep in mind, I'm a Mesa noob.

A lot of it is just playing with the amp. Once you learn to EQ with your ears instead of your eyes you'll get a better feel for things.

I bet less than half Mark V owners know this. Just another way to change the intensity of the tone.

sevycat said:
You can't color this amp like you would a fender amp an expect it to react the same.
+1000

mesas are mesas. if you look at the schematics (from an engineering perspective), this is not magic; they are unique. unfortunately mr. fender's wonderful designs have so thoroughly permeated music that you can't do anything but reference him. mr. marshall likewise. now, what we should really do is refer to mr. smith instead...

also, that's partly why the amp is more sensitive in certain controls and the range of tone control seems to be a lot "wider" (sensitive).

I am a relative newcomer to Mesa amps, in spite of being on my 4th one. The tone controls, and indeed all the other tone shaping options included on these amps, are pretty incredible. But after a lifetime of playing Marshalls, whenever I plug into one now I feel that the tone controls don't really do much.

Trev57 said:
I am a relative newcomer to Mesa amps, in spite of being on my 4th one. The tone controls, and indeed all the other tone shaping options included on these amps, are pretty incredible. But after a lifetime of playing Marshalls, whenever I plug into one now I feel that the tone controls don't really do much.

Yeah, I don't know how they do it (some kind of voodoo or something) but it seems that when I'm playing alone with the amp, most of the tone controls and switches don't seem to make a hell of a lot of difference, but when in a band mix, little tweaks seem to make a huge difference. It's almost as if they narrowed all the tone controls to work only within the sweet spot that the guitar holds down in the mix. Pretty cool.

Latest posts

Back