traveling with a mesa boogie combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyc4

Reaction score
I need to take my mesa f-50 combo with me to costa rica. Do any of you guys know a way I can take it without shipping it out? Is there a case or a gigbag I can buy for it? What should I do before packing it? Remove the tubes? How much does it weigh? over 50 pounds? Will they let me check it in as lugage?

Where can I buy something like this? Is it safe? IS THAT AN F-50 COMBO
?
gator02am9.jpg

I have a friend that tours with the same amp. He has a "Mesa" road case but when he loads it into the truck he sets the case upside down. He did this because the tubes wiggle loose after long road trips. You can remove the tubes but that might loosen your sockets too much with continued inserting and removal. Just a thought.

He does. He explained that he's using gravity to his advantage. Which I'm glad I use a DR. He found this trick after one night he plugged in his amp after 8 hours of driving and one of the power tubes started arcing. He had to reseat all of the tubes and now travels with the amp packed upside down.

You can get a road case for cheap. Heres an example of one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ATA-ROAD-CASE-for-MESA-BOOGIE-F-30-112-COMBO-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ200013807795QQihZ010QQcategoryZ43375QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It says its for an F30 combo but Id bet it would fit an F50 in it. If not the company that put this bid up could probably make one for you :D

I wouldnt see why not--Ive seen suitcases out there that were alot bigger than that--

Ok, great!

My biggest concern is the tubes. Is there some kind of tube guard or tube holder thing to secure the tubes?

Every airline has different policies. Call your airline and get the dope straight from them.

If they will even let you check it, you are going to want to get an ATA rated case. Do not skimp on this! The case must be rated ATA or the airline will not take any responsibility for damage. And it will get damaged if it is not in an ATA rated case.

Chris... 8)

Depending on your status with the airline you fly, certain weight restrictions will apply. I don't know what an F-50 weighs. But if the amp and case are over the limit, you'll be charged a fee on the spot.

But I totally agree with chedgeco on both points. Spending the money on a real ATA case is the only way to go. If you send your amp with a 'gig bag' - you might find that your amp doesn't work once you get to Costa Rica. Either that or your amp will have some nasty dents in the wood. I've had luggage actually get burt (and the zipper threads melted) because my bag was either hitting a wheel or belt pad somewhere.

Please protect your sacred Mesa!

DO call the airline and ask them what their weight restrictions are. Tell them exactly how many bags/containers you will be flying with. If you go above a certain number - you will get the "we are not a shipping service" response, but they will be more than happy to apply their "shipping rates" to your luggage. And you want to be aware of all of this up front. Not on the spot when you are checking luggage and your flight takes off in 30 min.

Thanks im going to go with the ATA case. Should I put the amp upside down inside the ATA case?

For bumpy travel I would suggest it. It's not going to hurt the amp if you have a good road case. Remember have gravity work for you.

that case is not road ready. i own one and it's great if you load yourself in and out but no way ready for a truck or plane.

strumminsix said:
that case is not road ready. i own one and it's great if you load yourself in and out but no way ready for a truck or plane.

Thanks for clearing that out. Your post is the highlight of the thread.

i'm in a similar situation...

i'm in the US at the moment and I've bought a F-50 combo amp which i'm planning to take home to australia...

it will only be making the one trip, and I'm debating whether to buy a case for it or the other option is to put it in my suitcase... it fits in there OK, and I can insulate it in there to protect...

i was talking to the people at guitar centre, and they thought the latter was an OK option, just wanted to see if anyone else had any thoughts...

cheers

I would not recommend the suitcase option. You're better off ordering an F50 Box (with the foam padding) directly from Mesa and checking that box in to your flight.

It should survive the the flight....as these are the same boxes used when Mesa ships them on trucks.

Back