traditional cab vs standard cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seanzilla

Reaction score
Hi, I am gonna be getting a dual rectifier and I am wondering if I should get a traditional cab or standard cab.

could you give me the pros and cons for each and what you recommend. Thanks.

Check the FAQ link in my sig..

Basically, the traditional will be more like your typical guitar cab and will have tighter bass response and tracking. The standard is an oversize cabinet and will give you a 'huge' sound for single power chords, etc, but will lack some of the tight tracking needed for certain types of music like metal for example.

^Exactly!

Though I have not tried a Mesa traditional, I presviously owned an Avatar 4x12 with V30s, which many say is very close to the traditional.

I sold it, and now own a Mesa Oversized! It's kills my old cab! The sound is huge, but can still be nice and tight if dialed in correctly. It was made for the recto, and pairs with it perfectly IMO.

but will lack some of the tight tracking needed for certain types of music like metal for example

that is true, to an extent.
with my triaxis + 2:90, it is quite easy to have a tight sound. of course it will depend on your amp and settings. a dual rectifier wont be suitable for metal thru that cab

Shep said:
a trad straight front is the best mesa cab you can pair with a recto..the straight give's a better bass ..

I have a traditional 4x12 slant cab . The best thing i ever did to my rig . Tighter than the looser sounding standard cab .

Back