Toys for Tightening

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icingdeath

Reaction score
SO! The lovely people at guitar center pro coverage just sent me a 530$ gift card for an amp they could not fix/were too lazy to fix. I figure since there's always room for improvement, I'll spend some of the money on tightening and refining my solo50's sound. I'm just kinda looking for input on what kind of eq's the rectos take well and what kind of pedals I can put in front of it so it won't colour the sound too much. Also, will el34's give me more punch than the 6l6's I have in it now? Thanks for helping someone who so obviously knows nothing!

Either I am having a seizure or everyone and their brother is suddenly asking how to tighten up a Recto. :lol:

horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif
horse-1.gif

And I think you meant 'EL34' not 'EL84'. :shock:

Find the right bridge pickup for your playing style. Perferably one without a lot of bass. That's all there really is to it.

Lots of people seem to use Tubescreamers to cut bottom end and tighten the sound, but there's really no need if your pickup choice is dialled in to begin with.

I have to disagree in part with screamingdaisy, even though she makes an excellent point about choosing the right pickups. My disagreement isn't with the pickup advice, it's in the implication that the solution is "either/or". As in, "this is the culprit", "No, that is the culprit", "No, the real solution is this thing over here". People too commonly want to find a single convenient scapegoat for problems.

The truth is that all of these things are factors in your final tone. The final tone that you hear is a product of many influences: the type of pick and how you're holding it, the pickup, the guitar cable, the kind of boost/OD you're using up front, the preamp tubes, the amp knob settings, the EQ in your effects loop, the power amp settings, the speakers/cab, etc.

A change in literally any one of these things can affect your tone noticeably, and their collective influence on your tone may or may not be fully accounted for by a change to just one of them. For instance, in this example, let's say you go find and install a pickup with a lesser bass response, but a nice warm bark in the mids. If your cabinet is still too woofy or you still have your amp's bass knob maxed out, you're still going to sound like you're playing through a heavy quilted blanket. Does that mean that changing pickups doesn't affect your tone or isn't a wise idea? Of course not. It's a great idea. It just means that you may also have to adjust other factors as well until you find the desired tone.

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way....systematically going through each factor by trial and error. But I can tell you from experience that that can get expensive in a hurry. It's always wiser and cheaper to first learn how all these things affect tone and to have a clear idea of the tone you're actually wanting. That way, you'll have a better chance of immediately identifying exactly what you need to change and by how much, and your chances of ultimately finding just the tone you're looking for go way up. Your bank account will thank you as well. ;)

Chris McKinley said:
I have to disagree in part with screamingdaisy, even though she makes an excellent point about choosing the right pickups. My disagreement isn't with the pickup advice, it's in the implication that the solution is "either/or". As in, "this is the culprit", "No, that is the culprit", "No, the real solution is this thing over here". People too commonly want to find a single convenient scapegoat for problems.

The truth is that all of these things are factors in your final tone. The final tone that you hear is a product of many influences: the type of pick and how you're holding it, the pickup, the guitar cable, the kind of boost/OD you're using up front, the preamp tubes, the amp knob settings, the EQ in your effects loop, the power amp settings, the speakers/cab, etc.

+10
People are often far too obsessed with one element of the signal chain while simultaneously neglecting the rest. Even a guitar itself or the player holding it can be culprits since this is where the tone comes from to begin with.

They need to have a 'gear school' where all the technical ins and outs are explained and guitarists can be equipped not to waste $$$s on pointless things.

Yes, even if such a book was $100 it would be a veritable gold mine of information. Can you imagine saving just 100 guitarists the depreciation each time they buy a new piece of gear? I cannot even begin to fathom the amount of money some guys sink into finding 'that' tone when most of it is essentially wasted.

Chris McKinley said:
I'd love to write a book about it if I thought enough folks would be willing to buy it.
Ill expect a rough draft on my desk 1st thing in the morning :wink:

Latest posts

Back