Torn between which to get: Dual or Triple

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had the choice between 50W, 100W, and 150W versions of the same amp, I'd go for the 100W if the prices weren't radically different.

50W is plenty of power for any gig I'll ever play from here on out. When I've played outdoors, I've occasionally used a 100W, or two 50Ws. But I doubt I'll be doing that much.

However, the bigger amps have bigger, stiffer power supplies and (usually) bigger output transformers that translate into...well, just a bigger sound. When I played Marshalls, I always used 100W amps with two tubes pulled. Even at 50W, a 100W amp just sounds bigger.

Having said that, 150W is overkill as far as I'm concerned. Costs more, heavier, and I don't think that you get much in return - unless you're one of the very few that NEEDS that much power.

I had a Mark III Coliseum - it was Simulclass, so it was about 135W or so - and it was WAY louder than I ever needed.

Then save the extra $150 and special order it with the triple faceplate.

Turumbar82 said:
Thanks for the advice on the Roadster. I think the price is worth it! I do like the way the Dual's and Triple's look because of the faceplate. The roadster has that "leather" looking part.

Thanks for all of your opinions. I have decided that I'm going to save up for a Roadster. I love the idea of having different power ratings on channels and like some of you have said, I can always get it with the diamond plate for a little more and if I'm saving up I'm going to get what I really want and not settle for anything less.

Has anyone seen the "Holy Diver" video from Killswitch Engage? It seems that they both have Roadsters behind them in that. I know they are known for using Framus and Hughes and Kettner but recently I have seen a lot of stuff with them and Mesa.

from what i understand, they switch a lot. i've heard/seen pictures of them using mesa before (rectifiers). i'd personally love to get a roadster, but my dual will jsut have to work for now.

Don't forget the Tremoverb, its a Dual Rectifier with great cleans. They can be found for around $1100 in good condition. Very versatile amp, I'd recommend it.

I have not tried a Triple, but the Dual gives me enough for that tight bottom and a loud, clipped clean. When on clean with a humbucking guitar, it's actually hard to get a little clip on it unless you max the gain and turn it up brutally loud. I'd try the pushed mode, with the gain on a very low setting and crank up the master/output volumes.

Get a Dual. The Triple is nice but you really don't need that much power. If your in a band or just jamming with the guys all's you need is something that can make it over the drums and cut through the mix. There's enough juice in a dual to accomplish this.

I will feed you the logic my buddy fed me when I was deciding the same thing......If you're going to be a bear......be a Grizzly. I got the Triple because it seems to be able to stay cleaner longer on ch 1. Also I think the triples use bigger Trannies so that changes the tone a bit. I love my triple and would never downgrade to a dual or single. Plus the rectifier gets MOST of it's tone from the preamp and I can get great bedroom level tones out of my triple even running it as a full stack right now.

GUYS WAKE UP THIS POST IS FROM 2007

THE DUDE THAT ORIGINALLY POSTED PROBABLY ISNT EVEN PLAYING GUITAR ANYMORE

WHY DO OLD POST GET BROUGHT BACK UP?

Latest posts

Back