Tool / Adam Jones Sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adam used an old Marshall Super Bass on Opiate/Undertow. Dunno if he blended it with any other amps on the Undertow record or not but recently I got the chance to try out a '73 marshall superbass into a 4x12 cab with (reissue) greenbacks (guitar was a Greco les paul from the 70s) and it absolutely nailed the undertow tone. Sober, Prison sex. You name it, it was there. We had the amp cranked too, don't expect those tones at anything other than bone crushing volume. I have the feeling Adam might have used a boost of some sort on the recording to tighten up the Marshall but I'm not sure. No Diezel VH4 until Ænima right ?

He has always used the Super Bass - That is his sound.
I do not belive he used a boost. But he did use a EQ a lot and you can do that same kind of thing.
Studio-
Opiate is just the Marshall.
Undertow -Marshall/Dual Rec.
I belive Enima was the same - but some belive the Diezel was in there.
I do not hear it.
After that a Sunn Model T was added on some of Lat.
After that a few more were used in the studio.

Live -
Marshall always.
Then Marshall/ Dual Rec.
Then Marshall/Dual Rec./Diezel.
Then Marshall/Diezel.

This was most of the time.
Once in a while you well see a photo with something else.

I have owned a few of the old Marshalls,Tremoverb, Sunn Model T and spent some time with the Diezel.
I have played the other heads that he has used in the studio.
I feel I know what they can do.

I belive most of his sound comes from the Marshall.

If you can not tell I am OTG.
I did see every tour from the very start.
Lost count of how many times I have seen them.

Can some please tell me what kind of "webism" OTG is?

Obese Tool Guru?
Obsessed Tool Groupie?
Obvious Trans Gender?

I heard Adam actually uses a $20 berhinger 1 watt amp for all live shows and recording, that has been modified to go to 11!! The Marshalls, Diezels, and Dual Rects are just a facade to stray everyone away from the "REAL" truth.

Who's the "OTG" now....total facial! :lol:

Thats the one. For me anyone who has been a fan before Undertow can use it. Hooker with a .... tells the rest of the story.

I am sure you people know my post are best guess with this stuff.

For me Enima just has great guitar tone, my personal fav. of theTool catalog.

Tool is my favorite band,,hands down. I have been a fan for ever, however, I couldn't tell you half the lyrics that Maynard uses.....dont really care all that much .. Ive always been more into the music. Besides, Maynard's lyrics are so open ended that interpretation is all in the eye of the beholder. Recently Maynard hasn't been as "cryptic" in his writing as he has in the past. (Much to the dismay of all the "TOOL Cryptologists" out there.)

oh, I noticed no one commented on my Berhinger joke.

and I second the guitar tone of Enima...best...also the Enima live tour cds out there are amazing. I like them better than the studio stuff.

I have heard some of that stuff. I met a bass player two years ago that had over 200 shows. The best one was right over the drums. It was very cool to watch. Adam is using Berhinger now ? I never even looked at one more than walking by.

Dude I was joking about the behringer. Behringer may be good enough for Alex Lifeson from Rush but not for Adam.

That was my guess. The guitar tone is one of the things that made me interested in the whole Tool thing. The mix of art and a thinking mans taste. How many other bands tone has that kind of girth? Not just the guitar.

I wish I could get that tone for a few $.

Hey all, new here, will keep it short so I don't lose my paragraph when the **** connection cuts out again...

I have found my guitar sound to be very close to the "aenima" sound, and have done so with a Recto, yes tweaking EQ is important, but more so guitar choice I have found to be most important.

Not that I am looking for the "Tool" sound but it took me ages where I live, trying LesPauls all over town at different shops till I found "The One" with the guitar tone and character that I wanted...

This is a great forum with lots of good advice and information being shared!

Till next time,
Cheers from Down Under!! :)

For my LP Studio I did a mag swap in my JB to a JB8 and nice new 500k CTS pots for the both Vol's... Sounds great!!!

Back