Took back the Express 5:50 and got the F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuSkoolTone

Reaction score
Well, I tried. I REALLY wanted to love the Express but it just didn't happen.

Tomorrow was the last day to return for a full refund, and I don't think my mind would have changed. The new F-50 there was $1045(?) and a MINT year old F-50 was there for $795. I wasn't thrilled with the amp and didn't want to be sitting on $400+ of store credit after an exchange so the choice was obvious.

That said I took it (The F-50) home and I'm MUCH happier! Honestly, I thought the difference between the modes on the Express was fairly subtle and nothing that couldn't be accomplished with a couple well chosen pedals. The Reverb on the Express was nicer, but that wasn't enough to keep it. The 5W setting was cool, but the only mode I thought it shined on was the Blues mode. I also don't think 5W is enough for anything more than recording. I don't think 5W mode could hang with a band. Even a fairly quiet one.

My only gripes with the F-50 so far is that it's a LITTLE hissy on the Lead channel, and it pops a little going from Dirty to Clean. Is this stuff normal for this amp? It's used so it might need a re-tube? The store said it was only a year old where someone bought it and returned it cause it wasn't for them. For the most part I trust the store, so that's probably accurate.

When I get a chance I'll record a clip if the F-50 to go with my Express clips. So you can hear the difference since most know what the F-50 sound like. You'll hear how much of the difference is the recording process and my playing from your own references.

I tried the 5:50 head and 2X12 speaker yesterday at a local shop...to be honest I didn't really like the high gain 'Burn' setting. I loved the clean channel, the blues mode was OK.

I just found that it didn't have the balls in the 'Burn' mode, for my ears anyways. I tried the contour knob at several different settings and played around with the gain and EQ settings, but just couldn't dial in a heavy setting I liked. I don't know what it was...I thought I'd be coming home with one.

I will try the F-50 in a couple of days, just to compare. I'm also looking for something with a heavier distortion. I'm going to try a few more models before making a decision on which on to get.

hey nuskool! i'm really interested with the new 5:50, im thinking of ordering it tomorrow in fact.. what specifically with the express you dont like? just the dirty chanel?

NuSkoolTone said:
Well, I tried. I REALLY wanted to love the Express but it just didn't happen.

Tomorrow was the last day to return for a full refund, and I don't think my mind would have changed. The new F-50 there was $1045(?) and a MINT year old F-50 was there for $795. I wasn't thrilled with the amp and didn't want to be sitting on $400+ of store credit after an exchange so the choice was obvious.

That said I took it (The F-50) home and I'm MUCH happier! Honestly, I thought the difference between the modes on the Express was fairly subtle and nothing that couldn't be accomplished with a couple well chosen pedals. The Reverb on the Express was nicer, but that wasn't enough to keep it. The 5W setting was cool, but the only mode I thought it shined on was the Blues mode. I also don't think 5W is enough for anything more than recording. I don't think 5W mode could hang with a band. Even a fairly quiet one.

My only gripes with the F-50 so far is that it's a LITTLE hissy on the Lead channel, and it pops a little going from Dirty to Clean. Is this stuff normal for this amp? It's used so it might need a re-tube? The store said it was only a year old where someone bought it and returned it cause it wasn't for them. For the most part I trust the store, so that's probably accurate.

When I get a chance I'll record a clip if the F-50 to go with my Express clips. So you can hear the difference since most know what the F-50 sound like. You'll hear how much of the difference is the recording process and my playing from your own references.

ROFL I actually ended up buying a year old mint F-50 off of Ebay for $760, after comparing your 5:50 clips with some folks who have the F on H-C. Honestly, your clips sounded good, but the F-50 clips, no matter who they came from, sounded awesome.

I'm really going for that "Mini Mark" sound, and I think the F-50 delivers. I can't wait to try it out, and also use my AnalogMan SD-1 with it. I've the F-50's sound killer with a boost in front.

willrock said:
hey nuskool! i'm really interested with the new 5:50, im thinking of ordering it tomorrow in fact.. what specifically with the express you dont like? just the dirty chanel?

Yes, the Dirty Channel was the deal breaker for me. My experience was similar to Yarzo's but despite my first impression I gave the amp a chance to love it. After a week (the refund period) it didn't happen.

The clean channel is awesome. Better than the F-50 IMO. Not enough to warrant living with that dirty sound though if you like to get heavy.

If you're primarily a traditional strat player I think you'll like the EDIT: EXPRESS. If you're a humbucker guy and play heavier stuff than hard rock, good chance you'll be disappointed.

.....why would you wan to use the 5 watt mode in a band setting......it does have a 50 watt mode ya know.
Good you were able to get what you liked though.
.....and yes the 5 watt mode was designed for recording......boogie states that about the amp. Which is a part of the reason it's so appealing to a lot of people on the board.

I actually love to play with the band in 5watt mode. The clean breaks up more at higher volume but I only use super clean for a few numbers. I get plenty of volume in the blues 5watt setting its killer.. I also tried a Tungsol in V1 which really made the 50watt burn channel more aggro and chunky.

E_R said:
.....why would you wan to use the 5 watt mode in a band setting......it does have a 50 watt mode ya know.
Good you were able to get what you liked though.
.....and yes the 5 watt mode was designed for recording......boogie states that about the amp. Which is a part of the reason it's so appealing to a lot of people on the board.

If you played it, I think it'd be a nice tone to play with the band. Where the new Lonestar is doing 10w, I think THAT is going to be great for that situation. I don't remember them explicitly stating it was "for recording" I think though by common sense it's implied.

cant play pool with a rop said:
I actually love to play with the band in 5watt mode. The clean breaks up more at higher volume but I only use super clean for a few numbers. I get plenty of volume in the blues 5watt setting its killer.. I also tried a Tungsol in V1 which really made the 50watt burn channel more aggro and chunky.

No kidding? Cool! I assume you're playing with some pretty laid back guys. Most people I've jammed with. Unless it was a slow, quiet number I wouldn't have a prayer to be heard in 5W mode.

I don't have a tung sol (but want to try them), but I did try a few tubes in V1/V2 and the differences I heard were subtle. It's cool that you found that combo though. In case anyone gets the idea, I am NOT saying the Express is a bad amp! I just wasn't thrilled with it enough to keep it and eat the new amp price/depreciation in case I decided to sell it later.

I love my F-50 and am glad that people are comparing them to the Express. I didn't want to trade my F-50 in :)

I think there is a ton of gain on the F-50. Love that amp.

I put down a bid on an F-50 head on E-bay today. The auction ends later this week we'll see what happens. Glad to hear you are happy with yours NuSkool give us an update when you get a chance.

:twisted:

The F-50 is a great amp...and certainly no need to trade up to the 5:50 if the heavier stuff is your primary genre....but for me as my name implies, the cleans are more important to me..."as you can always dirty up a clean sound any way you want, but you can't clean up a dirty (poor clean) sound"

So I went for the 5:50. For me it has more than enough gain for Mark Like leads. I truly believe that your fingers truly show and express your sound rather than alot of distortion -- unless mahem is the sound you're after.

Like it has been said before, many if not all of the classic lead lines ever recorded were low to medium gain......

ashjn said:
Is there a big difference between the 5 and the 50 watt settings? Or is the 5 still really loud for home playing?

In this context "Loud" is all relative. I wouldn't say it's Loud at 3PM, but it certainly is at 2AM while the kids are asleep.

i played a 5:50 last weekend for a couple of hours.....the clean channel was amazing and if you are doing standard good ole rock n roll i think the dirt channels were fine....if you want super heavy distortion this amp is probably not for you. I much preferred the sound of the amp on the 50 setting compared to the 5 watt setting.....there was a noticable difference in volume in swithcing between the two for sure....the amp just sounded better to my ears at 50 watts for some reason and not because it was louder...i just liked it better..

masque said:
i played a 5:50 last weekend for a couple of hours.....the clean channel was amazing and if you are doing standard good ole rock n roll i think the dirt channels were fine....if you want super heavy distortion this amp is probably not for you. I much preferred the sound of the amp on the 50 setting compared to the 5 watt setting.....there was a noticable difference in volume in swithcing between the two for sure....the amp just sounded better to my ears at 50 watts for some reason and not because it was louder...i just liked it better..

Seems we have similar tastes. Your impression is spot on to mine.

The 5W setting is cool in Blues mode though, gotta give it that.

NuSkool, have you had a chance to record some clips with the F-50 to match your Express clips?
I already got the F50 (it's sitting in a box at my house) but it'd be interesting to hear a direct comparison.

NuSkoolTone said:
ashjn said:
Is there a big difference between the 5 and the 50 watt settings? Or is the 5 still really loud for home playing?

In this context "Loud" is all relative. I wouldn't say it's Loud at 3PM, but it certainly is at 2AM while the kids are asleep.

I just bought the 5:25. Last night from about 10 to 11:30 p.m. I was checking out the various settings, both 5 and 25. I guess from all the rock and roll at loud volumes my hearing isn't what it used to be, though I consider my hearing "normal".

I had the 5 setting at just about every possible combination and while it was probably loud enough (at times) for the neighbors to hear, no one complained. I would say that I am disappointed to the extent that I thought the five watt would be loud enough for me to use class "A" for everything but playing with drums.

I can't say that will be the case, at least not if your looking for "clean". Although, I have found the contour to work wonders. Perhaps cause despite playing for 20+ years I'm really a newby when it comes to amplifiers :shock:
The 25 watt setting was louder, but still not rattle the windows :(

Back