tone tubby in mark iv combo

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a friend who put a tone tubby in his Mark IV combo...the difference was astounding...the cleans sounded fuller and "bluesier," with more warmth, and the lead channel sounded a little looser, with a bump in the mids...I really loved the tone, and thought it sounded better than the stock

I too have become fond of the Hemp cones.

Always though something that kicks your head should be good for the ears too.......

Seriously they have a nice tone to them.....

george998 said:
HAS ANYONE INSTALLED A TONE TUBBY IN THEIR MARKIV COMBO,IF SO WHAT DO YOU THINK.

I have a TT Alnico in my MKIV Short Combo. LOVE IT!! It brings a new level of musicality and character to the amp. I only run the amp on Tweed Power and switch between class a and simul-class, depending on the gig. Hope this helps!

Scotty,

How much was the alnico, and did you notice a significant loss in clean headroom?

I have a Celestion Gold that I tried to use in my DC-5 combo, but it just sucked the headroom out of the amp.

I've got a C-90 in there now, but I know there is something better out there.

I think I paid around $250 for it. It may have just a little less headroom, but in a good way. If anything, it has made me be more conscious of where my volume and tone controls are set. The TT responds so much better to subtle tonal changes. My MKIV had the MC90 before and it was way too sterile sounding.

I've really been thinking about getting one for a while. I built a Brownface Princeton for one of the Boogie Boarders and he put a TT 8" ceramic in it. The thing sounded incredible.

Back