Tone tip: use a GOOD patch cable...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If not using effects, then keep your signal pure and take advantage of the loops Hard Bypass!
once a time there was a customer on my home we were just trying a studio 22+ to mod it. It sounds so great but when we connect the fx loop there happens something we just take off the loop fx and after 20 minutes the amp becomes to loose all the power, the gain and there was a nasty sound.
My friend leaves the amp on my home all the weekend, I checked all the circuit signal with the oscilloscope and there was ever the same result, on the fx loop the signal was so degradated, researching more in the fx loop I discovered that the jacks seems to be working well but when I measure the resistances I could see that the jacks were doing a false contact that degradate the signal, the fx loop was serial of course.
I asked my friend Will you ever use the fx loop??? my friend saids no man I don´t use fx so we decided to do a hard true internal bypass quitting the jacks. the results was marvelous.
After this issue everytime somebody gets with an amp I say will you ever use your fx loop????? :wink:

Fail Safe:

Use real engineering, not generics.
-- Which also means: Nothing from MF, GC, or other brick-and-mortars.

Use the shortest lengths possible.
-- Lava Cable and eBay retailers can do this for you.

Mogami and Canare are THE baseline standard.
-- They're good as back-ups when you upgrade, so keep them.

I've only been crazy enough to go as high as Evidence Audio.
-- And for me, they're worth their weight in gold.

Any cable (all cables) will degrade sound to some degree. If you dont need the cable, leave it out. Less cable = better always.

IMO, people sometimes go overboard with quality of cables. I've used Mogami for years and tried other botique cables and cannot hear a difference.

Even length is questionable... Sure you don't want 100ft but 40 ft is usually okay if you are using high qulity cables.

But now to my point, I hear all this talk about cables types, the shorter the better, as few as possible, etc but this thread is lacking 2 key components:

#1 using a buffer and converting your signal to low impedence so it can travel further without degredation

#2 using a looper to pull fx in and out of your chain

I recently got 2 Mogami cables and a George L's patch cable from Lavacable.com. Previously I had using all Monster Rock cables and when I compared them I noticed a pretty big difference. The Mogami cables sound much fuller and a little bit darker. The Monster Rock cables were all high end and were much noisier.

Overall, the Mogami's seem to be way higher quality and not to mention half the price.

Couldn't tell you...never tried it.

I don't know about returns but all their cables have a lifetime warranty. Mark is a straight up honest guy to do business with.

Latest posts

Back