Tone Suggestions?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevo

Reaction score
Hey guys, im brand new to this forum, but i've had my Single Rec solo 50 for about a year now. Ive just started playing with my latest drummer and im looking for new tones! Im used to playing metal and what not, but im playing a lot of rush latly and im using my vintage setting for my distortion channel, any suggestions for some creamy tone?
Thanks

All of these are in the "O'clock" referrence.

Gain: 2:00-3:00 (depending on how hot your pickups are)
Trebble: 12:00-1:00
Mids: 12:00
Bass: 10:00-11:00
Presence: 12:00 (adjust to taste)
Mode: Vintage

Hey thanks brother, i jam with my drummer on monday, im looking forward to dialing in your suggestions!
Long live mesa!

Something Ive been messing with lately and I really like is pegging the presence control and dialing out the nasties with the mid control. Another thing I like to do is to play my power amp output higher and placing the channel volumes lower( it gives it that squeeze in the power amp that plays a big part in the fluidity of your notes while keeping them solid and sustain-y).
:D
Heres what Ive done in channel 2 / Modern / tube / bold of my Triple to get a singing "creamy" yet harmonicly lush lead tone and still has a controled chunk to it.
Amp output @ noon.
Presence is @ 5 oclock or pegged.
Channel master is very reasonable @ 8-9 oclock.
Gain is @ 2:30-3 oclock.
Bass is @ 1 oclock,
Mids are @ 8:30-9
and the Treble is @ 1 oclock.

My theory here and what I have found is that I like the dipped mids for sustain and the compression it brings in the notes but allot of the time I cant hear myself live in the mix because of it(not to mention the bottom end is so flabby that theres no articulation and its hard to play without being sloppy). I counter this affect while tightening things up with the presence. It also brings in the harmonics Ive been missing. You may need to tweek these settings a little to compensate for your flavor and guitar/pickups. I play an SG with PRS Dragon 2's in the neck and bridge. I find that theres a point with the mids that the bass and the treble carry the notes and remove the staleness of the mids and start to sing. You'll have to find that spot for you. Hope this helps!! :wink:

Back