Tone/construction differences between Mark IV heads?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying Booger

Reaction score
This is in reference to the short, wide, and rack heads that have been available. I ask this because of a co-worker of mine who owns a short head and mentioned that he also played the wide head version didn't sound nearly as good as his. I'm wondering if there really are differences in tone among these three versions or if they each have slightly different characteristics?

Thanks in advance for helpful responses. :)

I don't think there's any difference in their circuits, but someone might correct me here...

That said, the other one he played almost certainly had different tubes, possibly a different guitar and a different speaker cab...

There's absolutely nothing different between the short and long heads.. nothing whatsoever. Just the layout.

There is however a difference between the 'A' and 'B' model Mark IV amplifiers. That is layed out pretty well in the stickied Mark IV thread in this forum. Depending on the year of the amp there are some tonal differences but there's nothing different among the short/long heads whatsoever

I caught the Mark IV thread up above describing the A/B models..I had no idea about that fact!!

Now that this question has been put to rest, I now must ask myself this: Mark IV or Hughes and Kettner Trilogy?? :lol: I've had this ongoing battle in my head for almost an entire year now. I still don't know which one to go with.

Thanks dudes. You guys rock. :)

Flying Booger said:
I now must ask myself this: Mark IV or Hughes and Kettner Trilogy?? :lol: I've had this ongoing battle in my head for almost an entire year now. I still don't know which one to go with.

Thanks dudes. You guys rock. :)
You know what answer you will get on this forum :twisted:

Latest posts

Back